RE: [John Muir Trail] Digest Number 270

  • Tim Spring
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2006
      Thanks, guys. Solid advice/feedback! (I feared as much, which is why I asked).

      It's not so much a question of skills - as it is 'desire'. I'm trying to avoid the extra time and equipment (ie weight) which a significant amount of snow would require.

      It looks like I need to focus on another trail in my time 'window', which is pretty much the month of JUNE.

      Any suggestions?

      'Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like Autumn leaves.'

      - John Muir

      From: "Tim Spring" <tim_spring@...>
      2. Re: N-S Earliest Start? Dogs Allowed?
      From: "tubirrb" <wandering_bob@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 12:49:31 -0000
      From: "Tim Spring" <tim_spring@...>
      Subject: N-S Earliest Start? Dogs Allowed?

      I am trying to time a solo thru-hike with a break I will have between
      jobs. I have to be back by July 4th weekend (and can start as early
      as mid-May):

      a. What's the earliest I can start a N-S hike?
      b. Can I take my dog?
      c. The planes, trains, bus, etc thing is too complicated for me from
      San Francisco. Anyone driving from SF to Yosemite trailhead in early
      June?
      d. I saw some mixed reviews on hiking poles. What's the consensus,
      take 'em or don't take 'em?

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 15:17:26 -0000
      From: "tubirrb" <wandering_bob@...>
      Subject: Re: N-S Earliest Start? Dogs Allowed?

      A. That depends on how comfortable are you with (1) your route-finding
      skills for navigating over miles of snow-buried trail; (2) your snow
      travel skills - read in experience with ice axe, crampons, assessing
      avalanche and other terraine dangers; and (3) the same for your
      partners if any. From the wording of your questions, I'd suspect you
      are rather inexperienced, so please don't let your eagerness get you
      into a solo nightmare.

      B. No. Unless your animal is a medically necessity (i.e. guide dog),
      dogs are not allowed in the National Parks, and the JMT is composed
      mostly 3 of them with small areas of National forest (dogs ok) in
      between. I watched the rangers at Lassen NP throw a group of hikers
      and their dog into a truck and dump them at the main park enterance,
      far from the trail.

      C. What's so complicated? The San Joaquin train from Emeryville to
      Merced. The VIA bus to Yosemite Valley. Off the bus and onto the
      trail. Ask one of your friends to drive you to Emeryville if you don't
      want to take the amtrak bus there from SF, or all the way to the
      valley - it's about 170 miles.

      D. Personally, I love trekking poles, and they also serve as shelter
      poles for my Tacoma Tarp. They're a big help up and especially down
      the steep canyons and crossing streams, but they are not a basic
      necessity.

      Wandering Bob

      - In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Spring" <tim_spring@...>
      wrote:

      > I am trying to time a solo thru-hike with a break I will have
      between
      > jobs. I have to be back by July 4th weekend (and can start as early
      > as mid-May):
      >
      > a. What's the earliest I can start a N-S hike?
      > b. Can I take my dog?
      > c. The planes, trains, bus, etc thing is too complicated for me
      from
      > San Francisco. Anyone driving from SF to Yosemite trailhead in
      early
      > June?
      > d. I saw some mixed reviews on hiking poles. What's the consensus,
      > take 'em or don't take 'em?

    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2006
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Tim Spring <tim_spring@...> wrote:

        > It looks like I need to focus on another trail in my time 'window',
        which is pretty much the month of JUNE.

        > Any suggestions?

        I've never done it but you might take a look at the Tahoe Rim Trail.
        That is if your focus is in CA.

        The max elevation is about 8500'. We are having a early melt might be
        doable. maybe someone here can tell you better than I.

        Good luck

      • tubirrb
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2006
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
          wrote:

          > I've never done it but you might take a look at the Tahoe Rim Trail.
          > That is if your focus is in CA.
          >
          > The max elevation is about 8500'. We are having a early melt might
          be
          > doable. maybe someone here can tell you better than I.
          >
          > Good luck

          =====================

          I through-hiked the TRT as part of the official grand opening of the
          trail in September of 2000. It's a fabulous trail, actually a loop
          hike of 165 miles, with a total gain and loss of 32,156 feet. It can
          be done in as few as 9 days, but 14 is more the norm. June could
          be "iffy" given the record snows in hte Tahoe area this year.

          The maximum elevation is 10,338 feet at Relay Peak; the minimum is
          Tahoe city at about 5,600 feet. You also have to clear Freel Peak at
          9880 feet and Dick's Pass at 9,579 feet. In fact, most of this hike is
          above 8000 feet.

          About 40 miles of it coincide with the PCT from 3 miles north of
          Carson Pass, through the Desolation Wilderness, to the Granite Chief
          Wilderness, where the TRT heads NE into Tahoe City while the PCT
          continues north to I-80 at Donner Pass.

          For more info, see the Tahoe Rim Trail Association site at
          http://www.tahoerimtrail.org They'll have good info on the current
          and expected snow conditions. Your best access is probably through
          Reno with a bus to and from South Lake Tahoe. Start and end at Echo
          Summit (Echo Lake Resort) on highway 50. Some of the SLT motels offer
          free shuttle services to hikers.

          Wandering Bob