PCT trailjournals

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2006
      I was checking through the Trail Journals site and see that two
      thruhikers left well ahead of the pack. Their schedule calls for them
      to be at Kennady Meadows on June 4th.

      In any case the journal author has already done a thruhike of the PCT
      so at least he is an experienced hiker.

      Here is the link to their journal

      http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=133895

      As of last week the snowlevel out of Yosemite Valley was at 6500'. So
      out of Happy Isles you will hit solid snow just past the Falls.

      It is warming up earlier than last year. So there is a combo of more
      snow /earlier melt/ dangerous streams .

      'My guess' would put a SOBO hike some time about the first week of
      July for an experienced hiker.

      Perhaps the third week of July for someone with less experience. Even
      then you will be hitting snow on the passes and still have dangerous
      stream crossings.

      In years where there is a lot of snow the actual trail is a stream in
      many places. It is quite possible that your feet and footwear will
      never be dry the entire trip. A lot of very strong hikers I met last
      year with heavy boots and heavy backpacking socks were forced off the
      trail due to blisters. So be prepared to take care of your feet.

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2006
        Good info Frank. Last year I began my SOBO JMT on July 22nd and it was
        very wet going in parts. I wore Montrail trail runners and there were
        many days my feet were wet the entire day. I would recommend bringing
        a third pair of socks and sending new socks ahead in your resupply.
        Consider thin socks that dry faster and perhaps some of the newer
        running shoes with open mesh weave, like INOV8 or others, that will
        dry quickly as you walk.