Re: N-S Earliest Start? Dogs Allowed?

  • tubirrb
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 8:17 AM
      A. That depends on how comfortable are you with (1) your route-finding
      skills for navigating over miles of snow-buried trail; (2) your snow
      travel skills - read in experience with ice axe, crampons, assessing
      avalanche and other terraine dangers; and (3) the same for your
      partners if any. From the wording of your questions, I'd suspect you
      are rather inexperienced, so please don't let your eagerness get you
      into a solo nightmare.

      B. No. Unless your animal is a medically necessity (i.e. guide dog),
      dogs are not allowed in the National Parks, and the JMT is composed
      mostly 3 of them with small areas of National forest (dogs ok) in
      between. I watched the rangers at Lassen NP throw a group of hikers
      and their dog into a truck and dump them at the main park enterance,
      far from the trail.

      C. What's so complicated? The San Joaquin train from Emeryville to
      Merced. The VIA bus to Yosemite Valley. Off the bus and onto the
      trail. Ask one of your friends to drive you to Emeryville if you don't
      want to take the amtrak bus there from SF, or all the way to the
      valley - it's about 170 miles.

      D. Personally, I love trekking poles, and they also serve as shelter
      poles for my Tacoma Tarp. They're a big help up and especially down
      the steep canyons and crossing streams, but they are not a basic
      necessity.

      Wandering Bob

      - In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Spring" <tim_spring@...>