N-S Earliest Start? Dogs Allowed?

  • Tim Spring
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2006
      I am trying to time a solo thru-hike with a break I will have between
      jobs. I have to be back by July 4th weekend (and can start as early
      as mid-May):

      a. What's the earliest I can start a N-S hike?
      b. Can I take my dog?
      c. The planes, trains, bus, etc thing is too complicated for me from
      San Francisco. Anyone driving from SF to Yosemite trailhead in early
      June?
      d. I saw some mixed reviews on hiking poles. What's the consensus,
      take 'em or don't take 'em?
    • tubirrb
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2006
        A. That depends on how comfortable are you with (1) your route-finding
        skills for navigating over miles of snow-buried trail; (2) your snow
        travel skills - read in experience with ice axe, crampons, assessing
        avalanche and other terraine dangers; and (3) the same for your
        partners if any. From the wording of your questions, I'd suspect you
        are rather inexperienced, so please don't let your eagerness get you
        into a solo nightmare.

        B. No. Unless your animal is a medically necessity (i.e. guide dog),
        dogs are not allowed in the National Parks, and the JMT is composed
        mostly 3 of them with small areas of National forest (dogs ok) in
        between. I watched the rangers at Lassen NP throw a group of hikers
        and their dog into a truck and dump them at the main park enterance,
        far from the trail.

        C. What's so complicated? The San Joaquin train from Emeryville to
        Merced. The VIA bus to Yosemite Valley. Off the bus and onto the
        trail. Ask one of your friends to drive you to Emeryville if you don't
        want to take the amtrak bus there from SF, or all the way to the
        valley - it's about 170 miles.

        D. Personally, I love trekking poles, and they also serve as shelter
        poles for my Tacoma Tarp. They're a big help up and especially down
        the steep canyons and crossing streams, but they are not a basic
        necessity.

        Wandering Bob

        - In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Spring" <tim_spring@...>