Re: warm up hikes

  • dive_hike
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2006
      Bob, you might consider an out and back hike on the Woods Creek Trail
      (Paradise Valley), or Bubbs Creek trail, out of Cedar Grove, Sequoia.
      I've hiked both trails as part of the Rae Lakes Loop - its early to
      hike the entire loop because of snow on Glen pass, and the entire loop
      is a little longer than what you want.

      There will probably be some water issues in Paradise Valley in mid-
      May, but it should be OK. Woods Creek bridge (about 8500') is about
      15 miles from Roads End (about 5000' elevation). You could also hike
      out Bubbs creek about 15 miles or so and turn around.

      Permits and info phone number:
      http://www.nps.gov/seki/resform.htm

      Since I live in SoCal, I hike in the desert in the winter, and then
      hike in the local mountains in the Spring. I prefer late August and
      September in the Sierras - fewer water, snow and mosquito issues.

      Best of luck and Enjoy the JMT!
      Bill

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@...> wrote:

      > I'm planning on taking 3 three-day hikes between May 15 and June 15
      in
      > preparation for my JMT hike this year. With the heavy snowpack do
      any
      > of you have recommendations for 30 mile trips in the Sierra which
      will
      > require limited wading, hair-raising creek crossings, or lots of
      > snow? After June 15 I'll try to get a 3 more 3-day trips with some
      > altitude, which will present some of the same problems + bugs, but
      > there's no conditioning for hiking like hiking. Last year I went up
      > past Lake Merced from YV, which is always a great trip, but had
      water
      > almost up to my waist after Bunnel Cascade. - BobR

    • Bob
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2006
        Thanks Bill. Hiking up to Vidette and back is one of my usual late
        May to early June hikes along with YV to Merced Lake. Merced will
        require some water shoes this year or perhaps snoeshoes for the high
        trail until mid-June I'm thinking. I want to get in some good
        climbs so was considering trying to work in Kings Canyon to Granite
        Lakes and x-country around Copper Creek or even some of the dreaded
        hikes off of 395 like Sawmill or Taboose. My start date is not
        until 8/18 so I've got quite a bit of time to condition and try out
        this season's gear.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dive_hike" <dive_hike@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29, 2006
          Hi Clint. I'm in San Luis Obispo. I've never hiked much around Big
          Sur or Desolation for no good reason except hating ticks. I think
          I'll try this trip next weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Clinton Cleveland"
          <ccleveland@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Not sure where you're based, but Desolation wilderness down by Big
          Sur
          > offers some great hiking at lower altitudes. We were able to do
          some
          > good practice hikes there while the Sierra was still deep in snow.
          > Best of all, the whole area seems pretty lightly used. We saw
          maybe
          > two people in three days. I'd recommend making a loop starting
          from
          > China Camp out to Big Sur and back, depending how much ground you
          > want to cover.
          >
          > Also the lower portions of Emigrant wilderness, say starting down
          by
          > Kibbie Lake, might be snow free by mid May.
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          > Clint
          >

          > 2006/4/20, Bob <rrichey@...>:
          > > I'm planning on taking 3 three-day hikes between May 15 and June
          15 in
          > > preparation for my JMT hike this year. With the heavy snowpack
          do any
          > > of you have recommendations for 30 mile trips in the Sierra
          which will
          > > require limited wading, hair-raising creek crossings, or lots of
          > > snow? After June 15 I'll try to get a 3 more 3-day trips with
          some
          > > altitude, which will present some of the same problems + bugs,
          but
          > > there's no conditioning for hiking like hiking. Last year I
          went up
          > > past Lake Merced from YV, which is always a great trip, but had
          water
          > > almost up to my waist after Bunnel Cascade. - BobR

          Service.

          Service.
          Service.