warm up hikes

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20, 2006
      I'm planning on taking 3 three-day hikes between May 15 and June 15 in
      preparation for my JMT hike this year. With the heavy snowpack do any
      of you have recommendations for 30 mile trips in the Sierra which will
      require limited wading, hair-raising creek crossings, or lots of
      snow? After June 15 I'll try to get a 3 more 3-day trips with some
      altitude, which will present some of the same problems + bugs, but
      there's no conditioning for hiking like hiking. Last year I went up
      past Lake Merced from YV, which is always a great trip, but had water
      almost up to my waist after Bunnel Cascade. - BobR
    • Clinton Cleveland
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20, 2006
        Hi,

        Not sure where you're based, but Desolation wilderness down by Big Sur
        offers some great hiking at lower altitudes. We were able to do some
        good practice hikes there while the Sierra was still deep in snow.
        Best of all, the whole area seems pretty lightly used. We saw maybe
        two people in three days. I'd recommend making a loop starting from
        China Camp out to Big Sur and back, depending how much ground you
        want to cover.

        Also the lower portions of Emigrant wilderness, say starting down by
        Kibbie Lake, might be snow free by mid May.

        Hope this helps,
        Clint

        --
        Clinton Cleveland
        4053 Harlan St. #312
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23, 2006
          Bob, you might consider an out and back hike on the Woods Creek Trail
          (Paradise Valley), or Bubbs Creek trail, out of Cedar Grove, Sequoia.
          I've hiked both trails as part of the Rae Lakes Loop - its early to
          hike the entire loop because of snow on Glen pass, and the entire loop
          is a little longer than what you want.

          There will probably be some water issues in Paradise Valley in mid-
          May, but it should be OK. Woods Creek bridge (about 8500') is about
          15 miles from Roads End (about 5000' elevation). You could also hike
          out Bubbs creek about 15 miles or so and turn around.

          Permits and info phone number:
          http://www.nps.gov/seki/resform.htm

          Since I live in SoCal, I hike in the desert in the winter, and then
          hike in the local mountains in the Spring. I prefer late August and
          September in the Sierras - fewer water, snow and mosquito issues.

          Best of luck and Enjoy the JMT!
          Bill

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2006
            Thanks Bill. Hiking up to Vidette and back is one of my usual late
            May to early June hikes along with YV to Merced Lake. Merced will
            require some water shoes this year or perhaps snoeshoes for the high
            trail until mid-June I'm thinking. I want to get in some good
            climbs so was considering trying to work in Kings Canyon to Granite
            Lakes and x-country around Copper Creek or even some of the dreaded
            hikes off of 395 like Sawmill or Taboose. My start date is not
            until 8/18 so I've got quite a bit of time to condition and try out
            this season's gear.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dive_hike" <dive_hike@...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2006
              Hi Clint. I'm in San Luis Obispo. I've never hiked much around Big
              Sur or Desolation for no good reason except hating ticks. I think
              I'll try this trip next weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Clinton Cleveland"
              <ccleveland@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Not sure where you're based, but Desolation wilderness down by Big
              Sur
              > offers some great hiking at lower altitudes. We were able to do
              some
              > good practice hikes there while the Sierra was still deep in snow.
              > Best of all, the whole area seems pretty lightly used. We saw
              maybe
              > two people in three days. I'd recommend making a loop starting
              from
              > China Camp out to Big Sur and back, depending how much ground you
              > want to cover.
              >
              > Also the lower portions of Emigrant wilderness, say starting down
              by
              > Kibbie Lake, might be snow free by mid May.
              >
              > Hope this helps,
              > Clint
              >

              > 2006/4/20, Bob <rrichey@...>:
              > > I'm planning on taking 3 three-day hikes between May 15 and June
              15 in
              > > preparation for my JMT hike this year. With the heavy snowpack
              do any
              > > of you have recommendations for 30 mile trips in the Sierra
              which will
              > > require limited wading, hair-raising creek crossings, or lots of
              > > snow? After June 15 I'll try to get a 3 more 3-day trips with
              some
              > > altitude, which will present some of the same problems + bugs,
              but
              > > there's no conditioning for hiking like hiking. Last year I
              went up
              > > past Lake Merced from YV, which is always a great trip, but had
              water
              > > almost up to my waist after Bunnel Cascade. - BobR

              Service.

              Service.
              Service.