Re: best way to heat water?

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 2006
      For the last several years I've used Esbit fuel tabs. They are
      legal to ship, you have an exact idea of how much fuel to bring, and
      at 1/2 an ounce per boil are difficult to beat. Ranger Carol's post
      is curious. I would think Esbit tabs present much less danger of
      starting a forest fire than alcohol (most of these stoves don't have
      on/off knobs either), but forest and park service folks may have
      lumped fuel tabs in with wood burning stoves without adequately
      considering the differences. The main pain with Esbit tabs is the
      residue left on your pot. It does come off easily with water and a
      scouring pad. - BobR

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bondcliff48" <sam.clint@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm going to be doing the JMT in late Aug and would like some
      comments
      > on the type of stove to bring. The choices are white gas,
      alcohol,
      > and solid fuel stoves. I plan on doing mostly dehydrated meals,
      so