Re: best way to heat water?

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17, 2006
      One thing to consider is that by late August most National Forest and
      National Park areas in the Sierra go into fire restrictions. Esbit or
      sterno can or alcohol or zip stoves are often illegal during fire
      restrictions and only gas (canister or white gas) stoves with an on/off
      knob are allowed.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bondcliff48" <sam.clint@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm going to be doing the JMT in late Aug and would like some
      comments
      > on the type of stove to bring. The choices are white gas, alcohol,
      > and solid fuel stoves. I plan on doing mostly dehydrated meals, so I
      > plan on heating water for the dinner meal only. I'm leaning toward
      > the Esbit type but would like to hear from other about the pros and
      > cons.
      >
      > Thanks.

    • Bob
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 2006
        For the last several years I've used Esbit fuel tabs. They are
        legal to ship, you have an exact idea of how much fuel to bring, and
        at 1/2 an ounce per boil are difficult to beat. Ranger Carol's post
        is curious. I would think Esbit tabs present much less danger of
        starting a forest fire than alcohol (most of these stoves don't have
        on/off knobs either), but forest and park service folks may have
        lumped fuel tabs in with wood burning stoves without adequately
        considering the differences. The main pain with Esbit tabs is the
        residue left on your pot. It does come off easily with water and a
        scouring pad. - BobR