Re: best way to heat water?

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17, 2006
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bondcliff48" <sam.clint@...> wrote:

      > I'm going to be doing the JMT in late Aug and would like some comments
      > on the type of stove to bring. The choices are white gas, alcohol,
      > and solid fuel stoves. I plan on doing mostly dehydrated meals, so I
      > plan on heating water for the dinner meal only. I'm leaning toward
      > the Esbit type but would like to hear from other about the pros and
      > cons.
      >
      > Thanks.

      I dehydrate all my onw food for hiking. One thing that I usually do
      is start the rehydration process in advance. I take my dinner portion
      and add water and double bag it and hike that way with it for several
      hours before dinner.

      In your situation you are doing only one boil a day for dinner. In
      2004 I used alcohol stove and it did work well for cooking but I did
      tea and breakfast also and just found that (personally) it was a lot
      of fiddling around when I was doing it in the dark when I had just
      woke up. In 2004 I switched to a Jetboil and although there was some
      additional weight it just worked perfect for my food and cooking
      habits. I just got everything done quicker and was on the trail just
      before first light. I did the entire JMT 13 days on one 250g
      cannister and that was four boils/day.

      However if I was going to do what you are doing I would think that the
      Esbit would be perfect.

      best of luck,

      frank
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 17, 2006
        One thing to consider is that by late August most National Forest and
        National Park areas in the Sierra go into fire restrictions. Esbit or
        sterno can or alcohol or zip stoves are often illegal during fire
        restrictions and only gas (canister or white gas) stoves with an on/off
        knob are allowed.

        wrote:

        > I'm going to be doing the JMT in late Aug and would like some
        comments
        > on the type of stove to bring. The choices are white gas, alcohol,
        > and solid fuel stoves. I plan on doing mostly dehydrated meals, so I
        > plan on heating water for the dinner meal only. I'm leaning toward
        > the Esbit type but would like to hear from other about the pros and
        > cons.
        >
        > Thanks.

      • Bob
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 20, 2006
          For the last several years I've used Esbit fuel tabs. They are
          legal to ship, you have an exact idea of how much fuel to bring, and
          at 1/2 an ounce per boil are difficult to beat. Ranger Carol's post
          is curious. I would think Esbit tabs present much less danger of
          starting a forest fire than alcohol (most of these stoves don't have
          on/off knobs either), but forest and park service folks may have
          lumped fuel tabs in with wood burning stoves without adequately
          considering the differences. The main pain with Esbit tabs is the
          residue left on your pot. It does come off easily with water and a
          scouring pad. - BobR