Re: [John Muir Trail] best way to heat water?

  • paul ahonen
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 16, 2006
      Hi
      I have a Whisperlite, Esbit, and an alcohol stove. I also like to carry dehydrated meals on long hikes where all I have to do is boil water for it and have enough for a cup of tea. My favorite by far for long hikes is the Vargo titanium alchole stove. It burns alcohol and just in case you can flip it over and burn solid fuel tabs.
      I have in a 3/4 liter pot the stove, a 4oz cup (just for measuring), a package of fuel tabs, a wash rag and a bottle of soap. The last 2 items are to keep everything from moving around. I put the pot in a stuff sack with 2- 8 oz bottles of alcohol fuel I wrap my wind screen around one of the bottles, and a plastic fork and spoon. all this fits into one nice small size stuff sack.
      The stove boiled 3 cups of water in about 7 min.

      However if you want to boil alot of water fast my whisperlight boiled 6 cups of water in about 5 min

      Check out the Vargo stove don't let it's size and weight fool you I think it is great.
      I am going to hike the JMT hopfully in 2007 and the Vargo stove is the one I am going to take.

      Whichever you choose good luck and have fun on the hike I am jealous I can't go this year I am getting married

      Happy Trails Paul

      Dan McGuire <dwmcguire@...> wrote:
      Hey,

      My two cents, which is probably only worth half of that follows:

      White gas (ie whisperlite or some such) overkill for the trail. Heavy. Loud. Not needed for the meals you're cooking.
      Esbit - stinky, can be very hard to light, especially in a bit of a breeze, once they get going they go like gangbusters, can leave a nasty residue, impossible to accidentally spill. Easy to toss in a resupply box, though probably illegal to ship. Nice to have a couple as a back up, but I stopped using as a cooking source due to issues noted above.
      Alcohol (cat can stove, pepsi can stove, etc) - easy and simple. Fuel is available in Red's Meadow and in VVR. Simple, lightweight, quiet and odor free. My personal favorite.

      Hope that helps a bit,

      Scooter

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 17, 2006
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "bondcliff48" <sam.clint@...> wrote:

        > I'm going to be doing the JMT in late Aug and would like some comments
        > on the type of stove to bring. The choices are white gas, alcohol,
        > and solid fuel stoves. I plan on doing mostly dehydrated meals, so I
        > plan on heating water for the dinner meal only. I'm leaning toward
        > the Esbit type but would like to hear from other about the pros and
        > cons.
        >
        > Thanks.

        I dehydrate all my onw food for hiking. One thing that I usually do
        is start the rehydration process in advance. I take my dinner portion
        and add water and double bag it and hike that way with it for several
        hours before dinner.

        In your situation you are doing only one boil a day for dinner. In
        2004 I used alcohol stove and it did work well for cooking but I did
        tea and breakfast also and just found that (personally) it was a lot
        of fiddling around when I was doing it in the dark when I had just
        woke up. In 2004 I switched to a Jetboil and although there was some
        additional weight it just worked perfect for my food and cooking
        habits. I just got everything done quicker and was on the trail just
        before first light. I did the entire JMT 13 days on one 250g
        cannister and that was four boils/day.

        However if I was going to do what you are doing I would think that the
        Esbit would be perfect.

        best of luck,

        frank
      • Carol
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 17, 2006
          One thing to consider is that by late August most National Forest and
          National Park areas in the Sierra go into fire restrictions. Esbit or
          sterno can or alcohol or zip stoves are often illegal during fire
          restrictions and only gas (canister or white gas) stoves with an on/off
          knob are allowed.

          wrote:

          > I'm going to be doing the JMT in late Aug and would like some
          comments
          > on the type of stove to bring. The choices are white gas, alcohol,
          > and solid fuel stoves. I plan on doing mostly dehydrated meals, so I
          > plan on heating water for the dinner meal only. I'm leaning toward
          > the Esbit type but would like to hear from other about the pros and
          > cons.
          >
          > Thanks.

        • Bob
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20, 2006
            For the last several years I've used Esbit fuel tabs. They are
            legal to ship, you have an exact idea of how much fuel to bring, and
            at 1/2 an ounce per boil are difficult to beat. Ranger Carol's post
            is curious. I would think Esbit tabs present much less danger of
            starting a forest fire than alcohol (most of these stoves don't have
            on/off knobs either), but forest and park service folks may have
            lumped fuel tabs in with wood burning stoves without adequately
            considering the differences. The main pain with Esbit tabs is the
            residue left on your pot. It does come off easily with water and a
            scouring pad. - BobR