Mosquitoes on the JMT

  • bondcliff48
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13 2:09 PM
      I'm doing the JMT from Aug 22 throught Sept 8 and was wondering if I
      should bring mosquitoe repellent, head net, tent with netting?
    • Clinton Cleveland
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13 2:30 PM
        Hi,

        Last year they were brutal. Bring it all. We took to lighting tiny fires
        whenever possible (only where safe and legal, of course) and that was the
        only thing that really made a difference. Also, you can spray down all your
        clothes with permethryn (the stuff in buzz off clothing) before your trip.

        Best,
        Clint

        --
        Clinton Cleveland
        4053 Harlan St. #312

      • Dan McGuire
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13 3:41 PM
          I did the trail last year slightly later than you - 1st couple weeks of
          September. Flying, Bloodsucking Bastards were not at all a problem - in
          fact, I only saw two on the whole trail, and killed them both.

          However, I have been in the Sierra earlier in the season and been eaten
          alive - the only thing that saved my sanity was a head net and loads of
          DEET. I'd suggest checking in with people a week or two before you go and
          see how things are going. It's still too early in this wet spring cycle to
          know how dried out the Sierra's will be by the end of August. Could be bug
          free, could still be hell. The nice thing is, though, you can decide on bug
          stuff pretty easily at the last minute.

          Enjoy your trip!

          Scooter
          PCT 02, JMT 05, CT 06(?)

          _____

          I'm doing the JMT from Aug 22 throught Sept 8 and was wondering if I
          should bring mosquitoe repellent, head net, tent with netting?

          High
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=High+sierra+sport&w1=High+sierra+sport&
          w2=High+sierras&c=2&s=41&.sig=WWjx-_JRGJZCApN8FNwDNg> sierra sport High
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=High+sierras&w1=High+sierra+sport&w2=Hi
          gh+sierras&c=2&s=41&.sig=smVypSiqrFducD3ril0S5Q> sierras

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "johnmuirtrail
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail> " on the web.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____

        • Mike Pust
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13 6:59 PM
            Bring a chain! With the number of skeeters and the
            size, you'll need it to hold your tent down.

            http://mail.yahoo.com