Re: Snow on JMT Passes

  • dive_hike
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2006
      Steve, the northern portion of the trail is setting records for
      snowfall, but the snow depth in the southern portion (with the high
      passes) is still only 60% to 70% of the record years.

      Donahue is an easy pass, even with snow. There will be a well worn
      path by the time you arrive.

      I don't think you will have a problem at the southern passes because
      of the relatively lighter snowfall.

      Caveat: there is more snow coming next week, so check back at the
      beginning of May.

      Have a great trip!

      P.S. I'm not hiking the JMT this year. I'm hiking from Tahoe to
      Tuolumne in late August.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Schroeder"
      <sschroe111@...> wrote:

      > I looked at the snowfall history for Mammoth Mountain today. They
      are
      > up to 632" for the season, the most thsy have ever recorded. I
      was
      > planning a southbound trip on the JMT leaving July 23, 2006.
      Question
      > for the group; Will the passes be clear enough of snow for hiking
      > without ice ax and crampons by then?

    • Dave Leighton

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2006
          <sschroe111@...> wrote:

          > I looked at the snowfall history for Mammoth Mountain today. They are
          > up to 632" for the season, the most thsy have ever recorded. I was
          > planning a southbound trip on the JMT leaving July 23, 2006. Question
          > for the group; Will the passes be clear enough of snow for hiking
          > without ice ax and crampons by then?

          Each year in the Sierra is unique. At this point in time it really is
          not possible to pick a date and predict what the condition will be in
          late July.

          Last year record snowfalls blanketed the N. and S. Sierra. I started
          out of Happy Isles July 13 and there was stil a lot of snow. I know
          that on July 3 last year people were still having problems getting to
          Cathedral Pass. Then the Korean exchange student started on June 21
          and got lost on the first or second day.

          2004 was a lite snow year with an early meltoff. I started out of
          TM on June 13 with no problems at all.

          One advantage JMT'er have is the internet. The PCT kickoff is
          sometime this month. Usually the lead Group hit the S. Sierra in
          early June. If you go to Trailjournals you can check their progress
          through the Sierra and get a good idea as to conditions and problems.

          The situation in the N. Sierra this year is that we are well into
          April and it is still snowing. I'm doing a snowshoe/snowcamp in
          Desolation this weekend and there is another storm coming.

          So it all depend on when the snow stops, when the meltoff begins and
          how fast the snow melts. Some of these storms are quite warm at lower
          altitudes and their are flood warning for many rivers. Hopefully the
          meltoff will be gradual.

          I would just continue to check the info posted as the date of your
          hike approaches. Really it is just to early to tell. I would try to
          avoid carrying the extra weight of ice ax an crampons if possible.
          Especially the crampons. If you 'posthole' in crampons you can really
          do some damage to yourself.

          If you are driving to the trailhead bring them with you and make your
          decision after talking to a ranger while getting your permit.

          best of luck