Re: [John Muir Trail] Snow on JMT Passes

  • Clinton Cleveland
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2006
      Last year was pretty epic too, and the snow stuck around very late.
      Even in early July, people were having trouble getting through because
      of both snow and water crossings, but by the time we left happy isles
      on July 23 (nice coincidence), everything was fine. We had ice axes
      but didn't really need them. Of course that doesn't necessarily say
      anything about this year, but don't get too worried yet. I think the
      key thing to watch out for is the water - we tried, where possible, to
      cross the major creeks early in the morning when the runoff is lower.

      Hope this helps,
      Clint

      --
      Clinton Cleveland
      4053 Harlan St. #312
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2006
        Steve, the northern portion of the trail is setting records for
        snowfall, but the snow depth in the southern portion (with the high
        passes) is still only 60% to 70% of the record years.

        Donahue is an easy pass, even with snow. There will be a well worn
        path by the time you arrive.

        I don't think you will have a problem at the southern passes because
        of the relatively lighter snowfall.

        Caveat: there is more snow coming next week, so check back at the
        beginning of May.

        Have a great trip!

        P.S. I'm not hiking the JMT this year. I'm hiking from Tahoe to
        Tuolumne in late August.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Schroeder"
        <sschroe111@...> wrote:

        > I looked at the snowfall history for Mammoth Mountain today. They
        are
        > up to 632" for the season, the most thsy have ever recorded. I
        was
        > planning a southbound trip on the JMT leaving July 23, 2006.
        Question
        > for the group; Will the passes be clear enough of snow for hiking
        > without ice ax and crampons by then?

      • Dave Leighton

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2006
            <sschroe111@...> wrote:

            > I looked at the snowfall history for Mammoth Mountain today. They are
            > up to 632" for the season, the most thsy have ever recorded. I was
            > planning a southbound trip on the JMT leaving July 23, 2006. Question
            > for the group; Will the passes be clear enough of snow for hiking
            > without ice ax and crampons by then?

            Each year in the Sierra is unique. At this point in time it really is
            not possible to pick a date and predict what the condition will be in
            late July.

            Last year record snowfalls blanketed the N. and S. Sierra. I started
            out of Happy Isles July 13 and there was stil a lot of snow. I know
            that on July 3 last year people were still having problems getting to
            Cathedral Pass. Then the Korean exchange student started on June 21
            and got lost on the first or second day.

            2004 was a lite snow year with an early meltoff. I started out of
            TM on June 13 with no problems at all.

            One advantage JMT'er have is the internet. The PCT kickoff is
            sometime this month. Usually the lead Group hit the S. Sierra in
            early June. If you go to Trailjournals you can check their progress
            through the Sierra and get a good idea as to conditions and problems.

            The situation in the N. Sierra this year is that we are well into
            April and it is still snowing. I'm doing a snowshoe/snowcamp in
            Desolation this weekend and there is another storm coming.

            So it all depend on when the snow stops, when the meltoff begins and
            how fast the snow melts. Some of these storms are quite warm at lower
            altitudes and their are flood warning for many rivers. Hopefully the
            meltoff will be gradual.

            I would just continue to check the info posted as the date of your
            hike approaches. Really it is just to early to tell. I would try to
            avoid carrying the extra weight of ice ax an crampons if possible.
            Especially the crampons. If you 'posthole' in crampons you can really
            do some damage to yourself.

            If you are driving to the trailhead bring them with you and make your
            decision after talking to a ranger while getting your permit.

            best of luck