Re: Snow on JMT Passes

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2006
      I don't know how this compares to 1982 when my son and I did JMT. I
      know it was a heavy snow year. We strated on Aug 1 and had no trouble
      on any of the passes. The most snow was on Donahue but we found our
      way easily enough, tho it was off trail wherever it was. Forester
      required a bit of a side trip. However, there had been enough people
      over all of them that we had a clear path.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Schroeder"
      <sschroe111@...> wrote:

      > I looked at the snowfall history for Mammoth Mountain today. They are
      > up to 632" for the season, the most thsy have ever recorded. I was
      > planning a southbound trip on the JMT leaving July 23, 2006. Question
      > for the group; Will the passes be clear enough of snow for hiking
      > without ice ax and crampons by then?

    • Prapanna Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2006
        It surely will. I started out last year on July 5th. There was a
        lot of snow on the passes, but I would
        be surprised if this year is significantly more snowbound than last
        year.

        On Apr 5, 2006, at 4:14 PM, Steve Schroeder wrote:

        > I looked at the snowfall history for Mammoth Mountain today. They are
        > up to 632" for the season, the most thsy have ever recorded. I was
        > planning a southbound trip on the JMT leaving July 23, 2006. Question
        > for the group; Will the passes be clear enough of snow for hiking
        > without ice ax and crampons by then?
        >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

      • Clinton Cleveland
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2006
          Last year was pretty epic too, and the snow stuck around very late.
          Even in early July, people were having trouble getting through because
          of both snow and water crossings, but by the time we left happy isles
          on July 23 (nice coincidence), everything was fine. We had ice axes
          but didn't really need them. Of course that doesn't necessarily say
          anything about this year, but don't get too worried yet. I think the
          key thing to watch out for is the water - we tried, where possible, to
          cross the major creeks early in the morning when the runoff is lower.

          Hope this helps,
          Clint

          --
          Clinton Cleveland
          4053 Harlan St. #312
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2006
            Steve, the northern portion of the trail is setting records for
            snowfall, but the snow depth in the southern portion (with the high
            passes) is still only 60% to 70% of the record years.

            Donahue is an easy pass, even with snow. There will be a well worn
            path by the time you arrive.

            I don't think you will have a problem at the southern passes because
            of the relatively lighter snowfall.

            Caveat: there is more snow coming next week, so check back at the
            beginning of May.

            Have a great trip!

            P.S. I'm not hiking the JMT this year. I'm hiking from Tahoe to
            Tuolumne in late August.

            <sschroe111@...> wrote:

            > I looked at the snowfall history for Mammoth Mountain today. They
            are
            > up to 632" for the season, the most thsy have ever recorded. I
            was
            > planning a southbound trip on the JMT leaving July 23, 2006.
            Question
            > for the group; Will the passes be clear enough of snow for hiking
            > without ice ax and crampons by then?

          • Dave Leighton

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 6, 2006
                <sschroe111@...> wrote:

                > I looked at the snowfall history for Mammoth Mountain today. They are
                > up to 632" for the season, the most thsy have ever recorded. I was
                > planning a southbound trip on the JMT leaving July 23, 2006. Question
                > for the group; Will the passes be clear enough of snow for hiking
                > without ice ax and crampons by then?

                Each year in the Sierra is unique. At this point in time it really is
                not possible to pick a date and predict what the condition will be in
                late July.

                Last year record snowfalls blanketed the N. and S. Sierra. I started
                out of Happy Isles July 13 and there was stil a lot of snow. I know
                that on July 3 last year people were still having problems getting to
                Cathedral Pass. Then the Korean exchange student started on June 21
                and got lost on the first or second day.

                2004 was a lite snow year with an early meltoff. I started out of
                TM on June 13 with no problems at all.

                One advantage JMT'er have is the internet. The PCT kickoff is
                sometime this month. Usually the lead Group hit the S. Sierra in
                early June. If you go to Trailjournals you can check their progress
                through the Sierra and get a good idea as to conditions and problems.

                The situation in the N. Sierra this year is that we are well into
                April and it is still snowing. I'm doing a snowshoe/snowcamp in
                Desolation this weekend and there is another storm coming.

                So it all depend on when the snow stops, when the meltoff begins and
                how fast the snow melts. Some of these storms are quite warm at lower
                altitudes and their are flood warning for many rivers. Hopefully the
                meltoff will be gradual.

                I would just continue to check the info posted as the date of your
                hike approaches. Really it is just to early to tell. I would try to
                avoid carrying the extra weight of ice ax an crampons if possible.
                Especially the crampons. If you 'posthole' in crampons you can really
                do some damage to yourself.

                If you are driving to the trailhead bring them with you and make your
                decision after talking to a ranger while getting your permit.

                best of luck