Permit Confirmed!

  • Alan Greene
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2011
      I received confirmation for my permit today after a couple days of trying. I am leaving from Happy Isles > Sunrise/Merced Pass Through. I will be traveling solo and am planning on flying into San Francisco and spending a couple of nights and sight seeing. I am thinking of staying in a hostel and have looked at a few online. Does anyone have any recommendation for lodging in San Fran? I'll then be taking public transportation to Yosemite. I am thinking about spending an extra night in the park since it will be my first time there. I'm aware of the tourist crowds but what are some must see things inside of the park and what should I do about camping, make a reservation? I will be staying at the backpackers campground the night before I hit the trail. I own the, "John Muir Trail:The Essential Guide to hiking America's most famous trail" guide. I'm looking into buying some topos too. I'm looking at the Tom Harrison maps. Does the Highcountry series show a lot of detail for the side trails/resupply options etc.? Ok, I think I'm finally finished..lol. Thanks in advance for your advice.

      Alan
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2011
        Alan,

        you can spend some cash and buy all the books and such, but really, all you need are the harrison maps. I'd read through your other books and so on and maybe make some "crib notes" that you could fit on one piece of paper, but really the Harrison's are all you need.

        There are a number of cheap places to stay right in downtown SF––they aren't the Fairmont, but they only go for 60-100 a night . . . some of the actual "Hostels" here in SF that are located in the South of Market area, might be a tad sketchy to get to. There is a nicely located Hostel out by Fisherman's Wharf, but it's usually a prime spot and full, not to mention that the buses and trains serving that area of town, might not be running at the time you need to be getting to the AMTRAK station.

        I have recommended one or two places to a few people and if any of our foreigners ( them brits and aussies) are listening, they can come up with the places they've stayed that are close and easy to the AMTRAK station . . . I just can't think of their names this instant.

        You can get away with spending two nights in the backpackers camp, in the valley, not much of a problem there. it does cost $5 a night. BUT REALLY, the valley itself is kind of small and a good day there might be all you need, before the tourists chase you out––better to spend that time sitting out somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

        If you need any help getting around SF or finding a spot to buy gas, gear, let me know.

        Bob

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: alangreene3@...
        Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 22:56:02 +0000
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Permit Confirmed!

[...]

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2011
          Re maps. The Harrison JMT set are a must have in my opinion. Another good book is Erik the Black's JMT book which includes maps, water, campsites etc. You can order it online.
          And Elizabeth Wenk's book- is that the one you gave?  I typed out the pertinent trail descriptions, and downloaded all the campsites into my GPS.  That's been very useful a few times.
          Re camping in Yosemite. All sites have to be prebooked  and
          fill 5-6 months ahead, except camp 4 which is walkin but fills quickly, and the backpackers site, where u can stay the nite before your trip. Other option is a tent cabin at Curry Village. I'd suggest calling now for bookings.

          Sounds like you're going to have a great time!

           Barbara

        • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2011
            Keep in mind at the backpacker campground you will need to have your permit with you the ranger will come over and check everyone permit. But if arrive after the back country office close just tell the ranger that the office is close

            From: Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...>
            Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 15:29:38 -0800
            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com<johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Permit Confirmed!

[...]

          • Don Amundson
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2011
              To expand on Barbara's option suggestion and of course this isn't the economy plan--Besides Curry there is the Housekeeping camp (never stayed there).  I just checked the status of both facilities and see Curry is wide open June-Sept.  The Housekeeping camp is about booked up.  Curry offers a bit of "luxury"  before starting your walk in the wilds. Another bit of luxury is offered when you get to Tuolumne at the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge which is a fancy name for tent cabins. They do have a good restaurant there serving family style meals-10 to a table. Good food and you'll meet interesting people. Get a shower, wash clothes and have the hearty breakfast before heading out in the morning. Reservations are currently wide open there also.
              Naturally the bigger the group the cheaper these options will be. Curry tents accomodate up to 5, Houskeeping camp up to 6 and Tuolumne Lodge up to 4. Disclaimer--The accuracy of this info is subject to change at any moment.

              Don

              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
              From: barbara@...

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2011
                Thanks for the quick responses! I just booked 3 nights at the hostel near the Fishermans Wharf. It seems to be very convenient to the Amtrak bus stop. I think I will just be arriving early in Yosemite and spending the day there and then spending just one night in the backpackers camp. Is it pretty easy to send a package back home from Yosemite? I am looking to book my airline ticket now. I need some suggestions on logistics. Is it easiest to fly out of Reno. The cheaper flights I am looking at now out of Reno backtrack to San Francisco. What is the easiest way back to the east coast from Lone Pine?

              • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 4, 2011
                  Hi Alan, if you fly in at Reno you can take the bus from the airport to Lone Pine. If you fly in to San Francisco
                  you are better off staying on the west side of the Sierra

                  From: "Alan Greene" <alangreene3@...>
                  Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 02:56:56 -0000
                  To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>