Current snow conditions

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2011
      I know some of you like to know what's going on in the JMT backcountry regarding snow. I have just returned from the Bullfrog and Charlotte Lake snow surveys; there is a lot of snow back there for this time of year. This does not necessarily mean there will be a lot of snow out there this summer.
      This last December was one of the wettest on record, this January one of the driest.

      The snowpack this year increases dramatically as a percentage of April 1st, as one heads south. In river basins pertaining to the JMT (Tuolumne south to the Kern) our measurements are 90 to 129% of April 1st and 142 to 211% of February 1st.

      Additionally, I observed the largest avalanche debris that I have seen since 1986 on both sides of Kearsarge Pass. Although these particular slides were not catastrophic there may be greater damage in the deep valleys.

      The higher elevations have not seen a significant lose of snow due to a cold January, however at my home here at 7,000 feet on the eastern slope, we have gone from a max of ~5 feet to a little over one.

      Please note that all data and observations are my own and do not represent that of the State of California (they require me to say that).

      JD
      www.johndittli.com

    • ned@mountaineducation.org
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2011
        Thanks, John, for your service in skiing the backcountry along the JMT to get those measurements!

        I definitely agree with the loss of snow below 8,000 feet as noticed here in South Lake Tahoe as compared to the 8,000 feet to 10,000 feet at the top of Heavenly where the pack hasn't changed much since New Year's.

        Hey, Mark, how come we haven't seen each other on the slopes? Twice a week...stop by one of the ski patrol stations and ask for me some time. I'm usually on the California side these days (Sky Express).

        "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

        Ned Tibbits, Director
        Mountain Education
        1106A Ski Run Blvd
        South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
            P: 888-996-8333
            F: 530-541-1456
            C: 530-721-1551
            http://www.mountaineducation.org
      • seatreesky
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2011
          In terms of snow sensors that us amateur couch potato surveyors use, the sensor data directly on the JMT seems to be in line with what you've collected first hand:

          Location / Feb 1st / Apr 1st

          Crabtree Mdw / 171% / 109%
          Charlotte Lake / 176% / 108%
          Tuolomne Mdw / 166% / 78%

          You can view all PCT (JMT) current/historical sensor data, SWE, min/max temps, etc, at:
          http://postholer.com/postholer

          -postholer

          > The snowpack this year increases dramatically as a percentage of April
          > 1st, as one heads south. In river basins pertaining to the JMT (Tuolumne
          > south to the Kern) our measurements are 90 to 129% of April 1st and 142
          > to 211% of February 1st.
        • cyriljtree
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 21, 2013
            Hi everyone,

            I am planing to hike from Devils postpile to Yosemite valley on the JMT on sunday. Does anyone know the current snow conditions? I am just wondering if I should bring my crampons and ice-axe. Thanks in advance for any advice.

            Cheers,

            Cyril