permits

  • dean
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2011
      planning on hiking the JMT from Mono Pass or Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney starting mid-august to first week of sept.

      how many days longer will it be from Mono pass vs. TM?
      could i try applying for a walk-in permit for TM even if i already have a reserved permit in Mono pass?

      are walk-in permits in tuolomne meadows hard to come by around mid-august?
    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2011
        On 2/3/2011 12:25 PM, dean wrote:
        > planning on hiking the JMT from Mono Pass or Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney starting mid-august to first week of sept.
        >
        > how many days longer will it be from Mono pass vs. TM?

        same time if you take the JMT after 1000 Island Lake, faster if you take
        the PCT to Agnew Meadows after 1000 Island Lake (much MUCH nicer)

        > could i try applying for a walk-in permit for TM even if i already have a reserved permit in Mono pass?

        sure can. You're just wasting money on reserving that Mono Pass permit
        in the first place. I doubt they ever filled the quota there.

        > are walk-in permits in tuolomne meadows hard to come by around mid-august?

        never tried it that late, but if you are at the ranger station at
        7:30am, you'll have your pick of trailheads. The lines at Tuolumne
        Meadows are short - at 8am when they open the door, you may see 8-10
        hikers in line. Lyell Canyon is popular, but not THAT popular as a
        starting trailhead. In 2008 we got a permit in mid July at noon to do
        the Lyell Canyon entry in a group of three - same day, still available
        at lunch time.
      • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2011
          From what I can see on the map look like the trail head is in Walker Lake?? (7935 ft) its 4 miles from Mono Pass to Dana Meadow from there look like it about 3 to 4 miles to TM campgrounds. So I would say it a good days hike to reach JMT

          From: "dean" <dean_cunanan@...>
          Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 18:25:17 -0000
          To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [John Muir Trail] permits

          planning on hiking the JMT from Mono Pass or Tuolumne Meadows to Whitney starting mid-august to first week of sept.

          how many days longer will it be from Mono pass vs. TM?
          could i try applying for a walk-in permit for TM even if i already have a reserved permit in Mono pass?

          are walk-in permits in tuolomne meadows hard to come by around mid-august?

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2011
            Dean,

            I can't comment on the Mono Pass time (althoug it looks great) thing, but I can tell you that a walk-in permit shouldn't be that hard to get in TM in AUGUST . . . I've always done the walk-in thing and usually in the valley. Never had a problem other than being told I'd have to wait until the next morning, which is always fine with me.

            TM isn't a bad place to hang out for a day or so. BUT if you've already got a MONO PASS entry point permit . . . why bother––it looks like a great way to start the trip.

            BOB

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2011
              On 2/3/2011 2:09 PM, ed_rodriguez52@... wrote: From what I can see on the map look like the trail head is in Walker Lake?? (7935 ft) its 4 miles from Mono Pass to Dana Meadow from there look like it about 3 to 4 miles to TM campgrounds. So I would say it a good days hike to reach JMT

              ????

              Mono Pass Trailhead is on the Tioga Pass road, and you get there by free shuttle bus from Tuolumne in about 10 minutes

              rry®