Re: [John Muir Trail] Group Pins

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
      I'm willing to take the orders directly and keep up the spreadsheet. Just not the financial part.

       Barbara (Boomerang)

      On Feb 1, 2011, at 3:25 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

      This method (see Roleigh's e-mail) worked reasonable well last year.

      However, is anyone willing to take over my responsibilities? Barbara K and Roleigh have done alll the real work.  I just advanced the money needed, collected the proceeds, [will] do a year-end accounting (I'll do it at my tax time), and forward any profits as a donation to YOSAR.  It's close to a break-even operation, so you'll be out of the money early in the year, then go a little ahead of the game and then  make the donation.

      Seems like we should not add these responsibilities to Roleigh's plate or Barbara's.

      Takes willingness to keep some financial records.  If you want to be totally legit, you are required to report the incoming funds, less the expenses, as "hobby income" on your 1040 but the donation you make to YOSAR offsets the income (if you itemize).  Hard to believe you will face an audit over it.

      On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

      This is 100% verbatim from the file I referenced earlier:

      In late 2009, the group decided that it wanted some sort of recognition device,
      i.e., a way to recognize each other on trail.  After some discussion, we decided
      on several variations of a pin based on a photograph of John Muir.

      You can see what the pin looks like in the group's "Files" area, under "John Muir Pins"

      We ordered three different versions of this pin:
         1) The John Muir photo with the logo JMT@YG - 2.25 inch in diameter
         2) Same, but 1.75 inch in diameter
         3) Without the logo at 1.5 inch diameter

      Note: we have decided we like #2 better than #1, so when we re-order the pins,
      we may just have #2 and #3 available.  Orders for #1 will be treated as orders
      for #2 in that case.

      If you want to order pin(s), please e-mail John Ladd off the board at

         JohnLadd@...

      Include the following information:

         Your mailing address
         Number of pins desired
         With or without the text "JMT@YG"?
         If with the text, prefer smaller (1.75 inch) or larger (2.25 inch) pin?

      Please note that if you request a 1.75 or 2.25 inch pin, and we are out of the
      size you prefer, we will send you the other size unless you say in your e-mail
      that you want your order filled only if the requested size is available.

      Group member Barbara K will send you the pins (by US Mail).  With the pin(s),
      you will receive a stamped return envelope for payment by currency or check. The
      money/checks will come to John Ladd, since he is dealing with the accounting
      issues.

      Suggested minimum payment is $5 per pin, which we hope will cover our material
      and postage costs

      But if you can include a little more, we'd appreciate it since we may have
      unexpected costs and there is always the risk that someone will forget to pay.
      We may ask non-US members to cover the extra postage costs.  If we have any
      "profits" we'll make an appropriate contribution, probably to support YOSAR -
      the volunteer Yosemite Search & Rescue.

      Please e-mail John (off-board) if you have any unexpected problems (extra costs
      of non-US postage, to poor to afford $5; don't have US $, don't want to send
      cash and don't deal with checks, whatever).

    • Ewa Bialkowski
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
        Love the tattoo idea.

        If the pins have no year on them, I would love a couple. Yes, I am desperate.

        Ewa

        On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:51 PM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

        Let's all get a tattooooo!  Maybe this is what I've been wanting all along . . . I always thought, I'd get a "tat" of my wife's name, if I ever got married . . . and certainly one of my child's name, had that ever happened, but . . . but the JMT . . . done it, done it again and then a few more times and . . . maybe a long body tat with an outline of the trail. I could start with Happy Isles down around my ankles, Donahue at the knees . . . Vermilion and MTR above and below the belly button (with BB representing the Blaney Hot Springs) . . . adams apple would be trail crest and then the summit––a cool little bit of zig-zags out to the tip of my nose . . . and then maybe a patch would be just as cool :)

        I've still got a few extra pins if anyone is desperate.

        Bob

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: roleigh@...
        Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:17:15 -0500
        Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Group Pins

        Barb asks about if we'll do a patch.  The one negative about the Pin is that it can come lose, I lost my Pin on the trail last year (Barb remembers that, she was in the group I was in).

        I'm still very busy settling into my new life near the Catskills and Adirondacks here in up state New York (having moved last week from Minnesota).  But this is something I want to research, for with a patch, if you sew it on, it won't get lost, unless you lose what you sew it on to.

        Roleigh

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
          If someone volunteers for the financial part, we can all talk about
          how to divide up the tasks.  Having fronted the money, I liked it that
          the order flow was coming through me, but new financial-end volunteer
          may feel differently.