RE: [John Muir Trail] Group Pins

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
      Kim, oh, you've got me thinking . . . I've already got the pins and now I'll I need is a hole in my nose . . . hmmmmm . . . . did we talk about putting Mr. Muir on a handkerchief? I've always got one with me when I am out there––covering my ears or around my neck . . . or just in my pocket.

      And did we talk about doing the rubber (livestrong) wrist bracelet thing . . . seems super cheap, obvious on the trail, not bound to fall off or gouge you.

      BOB

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: outhiking_55@...
      Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 14:56:31 -0800
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Group Pins

      You could get pierced and use the pins there!

      From: roleigh@...
      Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:17:15 -0500

      Barb asks about if we'll do a patch.  The one negative about the Pin is that it can come lose, I lost my Pin on the trail last year (Barb remembers that, she was in the group I was in).

      I'm still very busy settling into my new life near the Catskills and Adirondacks here in up state New York (having moved last week from Minnesota).  But this is something I want to research, for with a patch, if you sew it on, it won't get lost, unless you lose what you sew it on to.

      Roleigh

    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
        Haha!  Lol. Good one Kim.

         Barbara

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: roleigh@...
        Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:17:15 -0500

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
          This method (see Roleigh's e-mail) worked reasonable well last year.

          However, is anyone willing to take over my responsibilities? Barbara K and Roleigh have done alll the real work.  I just advanced the money needed, collected the proceeds, [will] do a year-end accounting (I'll do it at my tax time), and forward any profits as a donation to YOSAR.  It's close to a break-even operation, so you'll be out of the money early in the year, then go a little ahead of the game and then  make the donation.

          Seems like we should not add these responsibilities to Roleigh's plate or Barbara's.

          Takes willingness to keep some financial records.  If you want to be totally legit, you are required to report the incoming funds, less the expenses, as "hobby income" on your 1040 but the donation you make to YOSAR offsets the income (if you itemize).  Hard to believe you will face an audit over it.

          On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

          This is 100% verbatim from the file I referenced earlier:

          In late 2009, the group decided that it wanted some sort of recognition device,
          i.e., a way to recognize each other on trail.  After some discussion, we decided
          on several variations of a pin based on a photograph of John Muir.

          You can see what the pin looks like in the group's "Files" area, under "John Muir Pins"

          We ordered three different versions of this pin:
             1) The John Muir photo with the logo JMT@YG - 2.25 inch in diameter
             2) Same, but 1.75 inch in diameter
             3) Without the logo at 1.5 inch diameter

          Note: we have decided we like #2 better than #1, so when we re-order the pins,
          we may just have #2 and #3 available.  Orders for #1 will be treated as orders
          for #2 in that case.

          If you want to order pin(s), please e-mail John Ladd off the board at

             JohnLadd@...

          Include the following information:

             Your mailing address
             Number of pins desired
             With or without the text "JMT@YG"?
             If with the text, prefer smaller (1.75 inch) or larger (2.25 inch) pin?

          Please note that if you request a 1.75 or 2.25 inch pin, and we are out of the
          size you prefer, we will send you the other size unless you say in your e-mail
          that you want your order filled only if the requested size is available.

          Group member Barbara K will send you the pins (by US Mail).  With the pin(s),
          you will receive a stamped return envelope for payment by currency or check. The
          money/checks will come to John Ladd, since he is dealing with the accounting
          issues.

          Suggested minimum payment is $5 per pin, which we hope will cover our material
          and postage costs

          But if you can include a little more, we'd appreciate it since we may have
          unexpected costs and there is always the risk that someone will forget to pay.
          We may ask non-US members to cover the extra postage costs.  If we have any
          "profits" we'll make an appropriate contribution, probably to support YOSAR -
          the volunteer Yosemite Search & Rescue.

          Please e-mail John (off-board) if you have any unexpected problems (extra costs
          of non-US postage, to poor to afford $5; don't have US $, don't want to send
          cash and don't deal with checks, whatever).

        • Barbara Karagosian

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
              Love the tattoo idea.

              If the pins have no year on them, I would love a couple. Yes, I am desperate.

              Ewa

              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
              From: roleigh@...
              Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:17:15 -0500

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                If someone volunteers for the financial part, we can all talk about
                how to divide up the tasks.  Having fronted the money, I liked it that
                the order flow was coming through me, but new financial-end volunteer
                may feel differently.