Re: [John Muir Trail] Group Pins

  • Kim Fishburn
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
      You could get pierced and use the pins there!

      From: roleigh@...
      Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:17:15 -0500

      Barb asks about if we'll do a patch.  The one negative about the Pin is that it can come lose, I lost my Pin on the trail last year (Barb remembers that, she was in the group I was in).

      I'm still very busy settling into my new life near the Catskills and Adirondacks here in up state New York (having moved last week from Minnesota).  But this is something I want to research, for with a patch, if you sew it on, it won't get lost, unless you lose what you sew it on to.

      Roleigh

    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
        Kim, oh, you've got me thinking . . . I've already got the pins and now I'll I need is a hole in my nose . . . hmmmmm . . . . did we talk about putting Mr. Muir on a handkerchief? I've always got one with me when I am out there––covering my ears or around my neck . . . or just in my pocket.

        And did we talk about doing the rubber (livestrong) wrist bracelet thing . . . seems super cheap, obvious on the trail, not bound to fall off or gouge you.

        BOB

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: outhiking_55@...
        Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 14:56:31 -0800

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: roleigh@...
        Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:17:15 -0500

        Barb asks about if we'll do a patch.  The one negative about the Pin is that it can come lose, I lost my Pin on the trail last year (Barb remembers that, she was in the group I was in).

        I'm still very busy settling into my new life near the Catskills and Adirondacks here in up state New York (having moved last week from Minnesota).  But this is something I want to research, for with a patch, if you sew it on, it won't get lost, unless you lose what you sew it on to.

        Roleigh

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
          Haha!  Lol. Good one Kim.

           Barbara

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: roleigh@...
          Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:17:15 -0500

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
            This method (see Roleigh's e-mail) worked reasonable well last year.

            However, is anyone willing to take over my responsibilities? Barbara K and Roleigh have done alll the real work.  I just advanced the money needed, collected the proceeds, [will] do a year-end accounting (I'll do it at my tax time), and forward any profits as a donation to YOSAR.  It's close to a break-even operation, so you'll be out of the money early in the year, then go a little ahead of the game and then  make the donation.

            Seems like we should not add these responsibilities to Roleigh's plate or Barbara's.

            Takes willingness to keep some financial records.  If you want to be totally legit, you are required to report the incoming funds, less the expenses, as "hobby income" on your 1040 but the donation you make to YOSAR offsets the income (if you itemize).  Hard to believe you will face an audit over it.

            On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

            This is 100% verbatim from the file I referenced earlier:

            In late 2009, the group decided that it wanted some sort of recognition device,
            i.e., a way to recognize each other on trail.  After some discussion, we decided
            on several variations of a pin based on a photograph of John Muir.

            You can see what the pin looks like in the group's "Files" area, under "John Muir Pins"

            We ordered three different versions of this pin:
               1) The John Muir photo with the logo JMT@YG - 2.25 inch in diameter
               2) Same, but 1.75 inch in diameter
               3) Without the logo at 1.5 inch diameter

            Note: we have decided we like #2 better than #1, so when we re-order the pins,
            we may just have #2 and #3 available.  Orders for #1 will be treated as orders
            for #2 in that case.

            If you want to order pin(s), please e-mail John Ladd off the board at

               JohnLadd@...

            Include the following information:

               Your mailing address
               Number of pins desired
               With or without the text "JMT@YG"?
               If with the text, prefer smaller (1.75 inch) or larger (2.25 inch) pin?

            Please note that if you request a 1.75 or 2.25 inch pin, and we are out of the
            size you prefer, we will send you the other size unless you say in your e-mail
            that you want your order filled only if the requested size is available.

            Group member Barbara K will send you the pins (by US Mail).  With the pin(s),
            you will receive a stamped return envelope for payment by currency or check. The
            money/checks will come to John Ladd, since he is dealing with the accounting
            issues.

            Suggested minimum payment is $5 per pin, which we hope will cover our material
            and postage costs

            But if you can include a little more, we'd appreciate it since we may have
            unexpected costs and there is always the risk that someone will forget to pay.
            We may ask non-US members to cover the extra postage costs.  If we have any
            "profits" we'll make an appropriate contribution, probably to support YOSAR -
            the volunteer Yosemite Search & Rescue.

            Please e-mail John (off-board) if you have any unexpected problems (extra costs
            of non-US postage, to poor to afford $5; don't have US $, don't want to send
            cash and don't deal with checks, whatever).

          • Barbara Karagosian

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                Love the tattoo idea.

                If the pins have no year on them, I would love a couple. Yes, I am desperate.

                Ewa

                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                From: roleigh@...
                Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:17:15 -0500

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                  If someone volunteers for the financial part, we can all talk about
                  how to divide up the tasks.  Having fronted the money, I liked it that
                  the order flow was coming through me, but new financial-end volunteer
                  may feel differently.