Group Pins

  • eddie
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
      Is the group planing to sell the pins group pins again this year. If so please put me down also any chance to get a patch made this year for our packs
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
        "You can order a $5 pin (with or without the text "JMT@YG") by e-mail. Instructions in the Group's "Files" area - JMT Pin Order Instructions. "

      • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
          Thanks

          From: Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
          Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 15:44:21 -0500
          To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Group Pins

          "You can order a $5 pin (with or without the text "JMT@YG") by e-mail. Instructions in the Group's "Files" area - JMT Pin Order Instructions. "

          On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:40 PM, eddie <ed_rodriguez52@...> wrote:

          Is the group planing to sell the pins group pins again this year. If so please put me down also any chance to get a patch made this year for our packs

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
            Hi Eddie and all who are interested,

            I have the pins and will let you know what we have available when I get home tonight (California time).

            Any thoughts on a patch Roleigh?

            Boomerang

            On Feb 1, 2011, at 12:40 PM, "eddie" <ed_rodriguez52@...> wrote:

            Is the group planing to sell the pins group pins again this year. If so please put me down also any chance to get a patch made this year for our packs

          • The Cisco Kid
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
              put my name up for three pins ..thanks

              RichardC
              "I'm in the Mountains, not over the Hill".

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                This is 100% verbatim from the file I referenced earlier:

                In late 2009, the group decided that it wanted some sort of recognition device,
                i.e., a way to recognize each other on trail.  After some discussion, we decided
                on several variations of a pin based on a photograph of John Muir.

                You can see what the pin looks like in the group's "Files" area, under "John Muir Pins"

                We ordered three different versions of this pin:
                   1) The John Muir photo with the logo JMT@YG - 2.25 inch in diameter
                   2) Same, but 1.75 inch in diameter
                   3) Without the logo at 1.5 inch diameter

                Note: we have decided we like #2 better than #1, so when we re-order the pins,
                we may just have #2 and #3 available.  Orders for #1 will be treated as orders
                for #2 in that case.

                If you want to order pin(s), please e-mail John Ladd off the board at

                   JohnLadd@...

                Include the following information:

                   Your mailing address
                   Number of pins desired
                   With or without the text "JMT@YG"?
                   If with the text, prefer smaller (1.75 inch) or larger (2.25 inch) pin?

                Please note that if you request a 1.75 or 2.25 inch pin, and we are out of the
                size you prefer, we will send you the other size unless you say in your e-mail
                that you want your order filled only if the requested size is available.

                Group member Barbara K will send you the pins (by US Mail).  With the pin(s),
                you will receive a stamped return envelope for payment by currency or check. The
                money/checks will come to John Ladd, since he is dealing with the accounting
                issues.

                Suggested minimum payment is $5 per pin, which we hope will cover our material
                and postage costs

                But if you can include a little more, we'd appreciate it since we may have
                unexpected costs and there is always the risk that someone will forget to pay.
                We may ask non-US members to cover the extra postage costs.  If we have any
                "profits" we'll make an appropriate contribution, probably to support YOSAR -
                the volunteer Yosemite Search & Rescue.

                Please e-mail John (off-board) if you have any unexpected problems (extra costs
                of non-US postage, to poor to afford $5; don't have US $, don't want to send
                cash and don't deal with checks, whatever).

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                  Barb asks about if we'll do a patch.  The one negative about the Pin is that it can come lose, I lost my Pin on the trail last year (Barb remembers that, she was in the group I was in).

                  I'm still very busy settling into my new life near the Catskills and Adirondacks here in up state New York (having moved last week from Minnesota).  But this is something I want to research, for with a patch, if you sew it on, it won't get lost, unless you lose what you sew it on to.

                  Roleigh
                • robert shattuck
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                    Let's all get a tattooooo!  Maybe this is what I've been wanting all along . . . I always thought, I'd get a "tat" of my wife's name, if I ever got married . . . and certainly one of my child's name, had that ever happened, but . . . but the JMT . . . done it, done it again and then a few more times and . . . maybe a long body tat with an outline of the trail. I could start with Happy Isles down around my ankles, Donahue at the knees . . . Vermilion and MTR above and below the belly button (with BB representing the Blaney Hot Springs) . . . adams apple would be trail crest and then the summit––a cool little bit of zig-zags out to the tip of my nose . . . and then maybe a patch would be just as cool :)

                    I've still got a few extra pins if anyone is desperate.

                    Bob

                    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                    From: roleigh@...
                    Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:17:15 -0500

                    Barb asks about if we'll do a patch.  The one negative about the Pin is that it can come lose, I lost my Pin on the trail last year (Barb remembers that, she was in the group I was in).

                    I'm still very busy settling into my new life near the Catskills and Adirondacks here in up state New York (having moved last week from Minnesota).  But this is something I want to research, for with a patch, if you sew it on, it won't get lost, unless you lose what you sew it on to.

                    Roleigh

                  • Kim Fishburn
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                      You could get pierced and use the pins there!

                      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                        Kim, oh, you've got me thinking . . . I've already got the pins and now I'll I need is a hole in my nose . . . hmmmmm . . . . did we talk about putting Mr. Muir on a handkerchief? I've always got one with me when I am out there––covering my ears or around my neck . . . or just in my pocket.

                        And did we talk about doing the rubber (livestrong) wrist bracelet thing . . . seems super cheap, obvious on the trail, not bound to fall off or gouge you.

                        BOB

                        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                        From: outhiking_55@...
                        Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 14:56:31 -0800

                        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                          Haha!  Lol. Good one Kim.

                           Barbara

                          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                          From: roleigh@...
                          Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:17:15 -0500

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                            This method (see Roleigh's e-mail) worked reasonable well last year.

                            However, is anyone willing to take over my responsibilities? Barbara K and Roleigh have done alll the real work.  I just advanced the money needed, collected the proceeds, [will] do a year-end accounting (I'll do it at my tax time), and forward any profits as a donation to YOSAR.  It's close to a break-even operation, so you'll be out of the money early in the year, then go a little ahead of the game and then  make the donation.

                            Seems like we should not add these responsibilities to Roleigh's plate or Barbara's.

                            Takes willingness to keep some financial records.  If you want to be totally legit, you are required to report the incoming funds, less the expenses, as "hobby income" on your 1040 but the donation you make to YOSAR offsets the income (if you itemize).  Hard to believe you will face an audit over it.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                                Love the tattoo idea.

                                If the pins have no year on them, I would love a couple. Yes, I am desperate.

                                Ewa

                                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                From: roleigh@...
                                Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:17:15 -0500

                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                                  If someone volunteers for the financial part, we can all talk about
                                  how to divide up the tasks.  Having fronted the money, I liked it that
                                  the order flow was coming through me, but new financial-end volunteer
                                  may feel differently.