Re:Alternative Starting Points

  • whiplash.hiker
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2011
      Just got off the phone with the Yosemite permit office to check on some options before I send in my permit application later this month. If I don't get the permit I want, an option that I found was that I can start from Sunrise Lakes trailhead, go by Sunrise High Sierra Camp, and continue to Tuolumne Meadows, as long as I do the 14.5 miles as a dayhike and do not carry any overnight gear with me. Then I can get a much easier obtainable permit leaving Lyell Canyon or Mono/Parker Pass.
      This may be a viable option for those who are not able to obtain a much-sought-after permit.