Re: [John Muir Trail] Best Timing To Fax Permit Request

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
      It's been since 2008 that I did a permit app at Inyo for coming into the JMT either from the south or mid-point south of Yose but North of the southern terminus.  Has Inyo National Forest gone for the lottery approach too?  I know Yosemite National Park has.
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
        Inyo isn't lottery, it's fax or phone 6 months ahead. Unless it's a Whitney Pirtal entry. That's a lottery.

         Barbara

        On Feb 1, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

        It's been since 2008 that I did a permit app at Inyo for coming into the JMT either from the south or mid-point south of Yose but North of the southern terminus.  Has Inyo National Forest gone for the lottery approach too?  I know Yosemite National Park has.

      • kyle joiner
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
          Is there a day of the week that is best to try to get permits?  I am assuming that weekends are the hardest, does that make Monday and Tuesday the lightest days of permit requests and therefore the best days to try?
           Schnikel

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
            For what it's worth, a couple weeks ago I spent 3 days in a row faxing in our request: 1) Happy Isles/Pass Through, 2) Happy Isles/LYV, and 3) Glacier Point/LYV. The third day (a Thursday, just before the end of the 4-day window we felt we could start our trip), I didn't get my rejection e-mail, so late in the afternoon I called. It took about 20 calls until I got through. Once I did, I explained that I had faxed in a request before 7 AM but that I hadn't gotten my daily rejection e-mail. The friendly (and doubtless very patient) ranger on the other end thumbed their files a couple times without finding my fax; I'm guessing it just never went through that day. In any case, thinking it was a very long shot at 3:30 PM Yosemite time, I asked if I could request my choices over the phone. The ranger said sure, I recited my choices as described above, and as calm as can be he said sure, there were 2 spots available for my first choice. I tried to match his calm while I went through all our info, including credit card, etc, and when I hung up, our permit was in the books!

            The moral of this story is utterly unclear to me. Maybe some people fax in multiple requests and then have to cancel, and something opens up later in the day? Maybe the ranger just took pity on me? The latter seems unlikely, since he can't spend more than a minute or two of his long, long day without a phone to his ear.

            Regardless, I did find this web page very useful for circumventing some extremely daunting 24-week calculations (and then circumventing the inevitable second-guesses about my 24-week calculations):

            http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermitdates.htm

            Also, I found the link to that page on this one, which is nice and clear and helpful and which I'm sure everyone knows about already:

            http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wpres.htm

            If all else fails, it sounds like you can get a great head start on an early-morning trail rhythm by lining up for a permit in the wee hours the day before you want to leave -- which is what I was resigning myself to. But I hope it won't come to that for you, either. Good luck Dane!!