Best Timing To Fax Permit Request

  • Dane Ward
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
      My wife and I are a couple of weeks away from faxing in our JMT permit request. It is our understanding that...

      faxes and letters will be processed before phone calls. To be considered for this priority, faxes can be received anytime between 5 pm and 7:30 am PT. Faxes and letters received by 7:30 am will then be processed randomly. Faxes recieved during business hours will be processed on first-come, first-served basis along with phone calls.

      We're not sure whether it is better to fax between 5 pm and 7:30 am PT (putting us in the random pool) or at the start of business hours (putting us in the first come first served pool.

      What's best?
    • jeff.hester
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
        Dane, faxing after hours is the best way. My understanding is that the faxes are processed in lottery fashion first, then after those have been processed, they start on the faxes received during business hours in FIFO order.

        The exact procedure is subject to change. A few years ago, the faxes were processed in order received (beginning at midnight, I believe). As you noted, now it's a lottery style luck-of-the-draw.

        There are two keys to success. First, make sure you provide three trailhead choices, all starting on the same day (six months from the date of your fax). Second, be patient. Last year, I sent my first fax in and got NONE of my choices. The next day I tried again, I got my first choice (Happy Isles). It meant starting my hike on a Tuesday, but I got my permit!

        Good luck. If in doubt, call the ranger station. I did that last year and that's how I learned that the overnight faxes were processed lottery-style.
      • Barbara Karagosian

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
            It's been since 2008 that I did a permit app at Inyo for coming into the JMT either from the south or mid-point south of Yose but North of the southern terminus.  Has Inyo National Forest gone for the lottery approach too?  I know Yosemite National Park has.
          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
              Inyo isn't lottery, it's fax or phone 6 months ahead. Unless it's a Whitney Pirtal entry. That's a lottery.

               Barbara

              On Feb 1, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

              It's been since 2008 that I did a permit app at Inyo for coming into the JMT either from the south or mid-point south of Yose but North of the southern terminus.  Has Inyo National Forest gone for the lottery approach too?  I know Yosemite National Park has.

            • kyle joiner
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
                Is there a day of the week that is best to try to get permits?  I am assuming that weekends are the hardest, does that make Monday and Tuesday the lightest days of permit requests and therefore the best days to try?
                 Schnikel

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
                  For what it's worth, a couple weeks ago I spent 3 days in a row faxing in our request: 1) Happy Isles/Pass Through, 2) Happy Isles/LYV, and 3) Glacier Point/LYV. The third day (a Thursday, just before the end of the 4-day window we felt we could start our trip), I didn't get my rejection e-mail, so late in the afternoon I called. It took about 20 calls until I got through. Once I did, I explained that I had faxed in a request before 7 AM but that I hadn't gotten my daily rejection e-mail. The friendly (and doubtless very patient) ranger on the other end thumbed their files a couple times without finding my fax; I'm guessing it just never went through that day. In any case, thinking it was a very long shot at 3:30 PM Yosemite time, I asked if I could request my choices over the phone. The ranger said sure, I recited my choices as described above, and as calm as can be he said sure, there were 2 spots available for my first choice. I tried to match his calm while I went through all our info, including credit card, etc, and when I hung up, our permit was in the books!

                  The moral of this story is utterly unclear to me. Maybe some people fax in multiple requests and then have to cancel, and something opens up later in the day? Maybe the ranger just took pity on me? The latter seems unlikely, since he can't spend more than a minute or two of his long, long day without a phone to his ear.

                  Regardless, I did find this web page very useful for circumventing some extremely daunting 24-week calculations (and then circumventing the inevitable second-guesses about my 24-week calculations):

                  http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermitdates.htm

                  Also, I found the link to that page on this one, which is nice and clear and helpful and which I'm sure everyone knows about already:

                  http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wpres.htm

                  If all else fails, it sounds like you can get a great head start on an early-morning trail rhythm by lining up for a permit in the wee hours the day before you want to leave -- which is what I was resigning myself to. But I hope it won't come to that for you, either. Good luck Dane!!