Score! Permit granted. & 2.5 lb. a day...wet?

  • Bronco
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 31, 2011
      Bishop Pass Trail on the 31st of July, day before Barbara Boomerang takes off. Coming down Whitney on the 10th.
      That 2.5 lb. a day guideline for food...is that hydrated? Seems like 2.5 lb. of freeze-dried would blow up to the size of a watermelon. That's like 2-gallons of chicken.
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2011
        I've never gone beyond 1.5 lbs a day for food/consumables.  Closer to 1.25 lbs.

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2011
          We passed each other on the trail last year, Roleigh. I think the 1.5 lb. a day is more fitting for a warm weather excursion.

          > I've never gone beyond 1.5 lbs a day for food/consumables. Closer to 1.25
          > lbs.
          >
          > On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Bronco <dawgbronco@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Bishop Pass Trail on the 31st of July, day before Barbara Boomerang takes
          > > off. Coming down Whitney on the 10th.
          > > That 2.5 lb. a day guideline for food...is that hydrated? Seems like 2.5
          > > lb. of freeze-dried would blow up to the size of a watermelon. That's like
          > > 2-gallons of chicken.

        • targetdoggmechanic
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2011
            Roleigh, what's your typical jmt diet consist of per day and how many
            Calories?

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2011
              I go overboard in that analyses.  See files section:

              Files

              Food and trail cooking

              Food Supply Planning for JMT 09 hike by Roleigh Martin.zip
              Food and Supply Planning for JMT 2009 hike by Roleigh Martin. Includes Inventory of each supply cache, calculation of protein/carbs/fat per day/meal, info on mailing to each supply point.

              There are 3 files, choose "Diet Plan.XLS" then "Food" tab.

              Bottom line for 2009:

              1.08 lbs of food per day
              Protein per person per dayCarb per person per dayFat per person per dayTotal Calories
              129.0208.359.31882.7
              516.1833.2533.41882.7
              27.41%44.25%28.33%

              First line is grams, second is calories, third is ratio.  Close to a Zone diet.

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                I agree with Roleigh that if you plan your calories carefully, you can do it in about a lb per day, at least if you are over age 50 or so and go under 12 miles per day. Younger people and faster hikers probably need more but 2.5 lbs per day either is poor food choices or a way lot of calories. A pound-a-day requires carrying things with no water in them and a fair amount of fat/oils already in the food (e.g., dry cheeses, peanut butter, nuts) or things you field mix with fats or oils (ghee and cornmeal for breakfast or humus powder, tahini and olive oil for lunch). Fats are over twice the calories per oz. as proteins or carbohydrates.  One pound of protein and carbs a day would give you at most 1700 calories per day.  An judicious admixture of fats and fat-containing foods can get you 2200 per day and more aggressive use of fats and oils can get you 2400.

                You can also burn your own fat.  If you are willing to lose two pounds of your body fat per week you get an added 1000 calories of energy per day.  Don't go overboard on this theory.

                 If you want to get it all in your bearcan, it probably should not have much air in it.  Freeze-drying entrains a lot of air, so it does not work well for bearcan country.

                Roleigh suggested the Files: Food area.  Also, ff you go to the links area and open the food folder, you'll find further information that can help you plan.

                Then click on the Food link

                Judging from the amounts of  food abandoned at Muir Trail Ranch each year, most people plan too much food.  (But planning too little is a worse problem)

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                  I forgot to mention in my own calorie expenditures, I do burn about 1/2 pound of fat a day which is something I relish on the hike.  Because of the richness of my carried food and micronutrients (vitamins, minerals), I do not get weak on the hike.  I bring along plenty of protein and do not suffer protein malnourishment on the hike.

                  If you are skinny to belong with you need to carry extra calories.  You're going to burn X calories a day and you need to have X calories available to burn.  It's that simple.  My "x" happens to be a mix of both carried outside and inside the body.  Some can only afford to carry calories outside their body.
                • Don Amundson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011

                    "Freeze-drying entrains a lot of air, so it does not work well for bearcan country."  John Curran Ladd

                    Care to elaborate for us John?  I'm having a hard time envisioning a freeze dried product having any more air in it than the same non freeze dried product. I stopped using freeze dried food for a number of reasons, but entrained air was not one of them so I am curious.

                    Freeze-drying entrains a lot of air, so it does not work well for bearcan country.

                    John Curran Ladd

                  • Ewa
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                      Don,

                      And I am curious as to what food you carry if is not dry. How many days of food can you carry?

                      Ewa

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                        Don asks

                        I'm having a hard time envisioning a freeze dried product having any more air in it than the same non freeze dried product. I stopped using freeze dried food for a number of reasons, but entrained air was not one of them so I am curious.

                        Sorry if I sound pedantic, but I've thought about this a lot.

                        Most of the freeze-dried product I see is cooked first, and then dried.  Results in a lot of trapped air because removing the water from something pre-cooked leaves little air voids where the water used to be. It's "sublimated" out. Same issue as instant rice. Or at least used to.  I haven't used freeze-dried in years.

                        Traditional foods aren't usually cooked first so they don't get a bunch of added water, which later needs to be replaced by air.  Compare rice and instant rice.  Traditional dried hams (Proscuitto) vs. commercial cooked hams.

                        Wikipedia article has some reference to this

                        Freeze-dried products can be rehydrated (reconstituted) much more quickly and easily because the process leaves microscopic pores. The pores are created by the ice crystals that sublimate, leaving gaps or pores in their place.

                        For more, see

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze-drying

                        You can usually figure if something has entrained air by just hefting it in your hand.  Things that don't have entrained air have a heavy feel.  Like a bag of cream of wheat.  Things with a lot of air in the substance or between pieces feel light, like a bag of Oatmeal.  Or compare a bar of baker's chocolate to a KitKat bar - rice to instant rice - couscous to Top Ramen, etc. - a bag of sugar to pieces of candy.  Counter-intuitively, you want things that feel heavy but have no water content so that every ounce is nutrition but you aren't filling your bear can with 50% air - like peanut butter or olive oil or even lard, if you are willing to go that far.

                        Also it seems like some of the freeze dried stuff I see has stiff pieces that are shaped in ways that leaves voids between the pieces.  A lot of traditional backpack foods have small particle sizes to make them cook more quickly but also makes the pieces pack more tightly.  Or they are sfter so that the air can be pressed out of them by just smushing them hard (like dried apricots).

                      • Don Amundson
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                          Ewa,

                          I'll make the assumption that when you say "not dry" you're talking about freeze dried.  I did say I don't use freeze dried food and I should further clarify that by saying I don't use packaged freeze dried meals.  I do sometimes use freeze dried instant coffee and freeze dried ground beef to add to my meals when I can find it at a reasonable price. More often than not I dehydrate my own beef.
                          Everything else I like to carry as dry as possible. Heaven knows there is no lack of water on the JMT so why carry any as part of your food when and where you can avoid it. Without boring everyone with the meal to meal details I generally carry whatever food I'm not tired of at the moment. My current choices for main meals are instant mashed potatoes, dehydrated beans, small pastas, Knorr rice sides and small grain mixes. To each meal I add either "real" bacon bits or dehydrated beef or salami or pepperoni and a 5oz olive oil packet. Sometimes for dinner I'll also have a tortilla and/or cheese stick.  Lunches are combinations of salami, cheese, crackers, tortillas and sometimes tuna in a pack.  Breakfast is a granola mix with vanilla flavored protein powder, sometimes a breakfast bar and an occasional instant oatmeal.  Snacks are varying combinations of pepperoni sticks, cheese, nuts, dried fruit, candy bars. I also carry different types of re-hydration drink mixes.
                          In my experience choice of trail food is an ever evolving process. Some foods I used to take for granted as being essential are no longer on my menu. I like to experiment with different things (much to the chagrin of my wife). I always test things on the trail during short trips so I'm not surprised on a long trip. Sometimes the pasta meal that re-hydrated well at home turns into a disaster on the trail.
                          If you like to actually cook food as opposed to simply re-hydrating your choices of food broaden.
                          Regarding the amount of food I can carry, I had  6 days in a Bearvault 450 last year. If I remember correctly in 2009 I could only get 6-7 days worth in a Bearvault 500.  I guess I'm improving.

                          Don

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                              With a dehydrator your options become about limitless.  You've probably already done your research. I know every time I start surfing the web for backpacking foods and recipes it becomes an almost endless journey. I keep thinking about getting a dehydrator and my wife keeps hoping I wont.

                              Don

                              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011

                                Correction to my previous post--I meant to say 0.5 oz. packet of olive oil, not 5 oz. These packets are available from a number of different sources and I just throw one in each of my individual plastic meal bags.

                                Don

                                .....ami or pepperoni and a 5oz olive oil packet. Sometimes for dinn....
                              • Richard Hihn
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                                  We usually dehydrate our meals on backpacks, and plan on doing so on our (first) JMT hike this summer.  One of several books on the subject is "Backpack Gourmet" by Linda Yaffe:
                                  What we need to do between now and then is to figure out what meals will work best for us on such a long trip.

                                  Dick

                                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: ewa.bialkowski@...
                                  Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:44:45 -0800

                                • dsarka@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                                    Ewa,

                                    After trying commercial dried meals, we purchased a dehydrator on amazon, and have been very happy.  A couple of months before departure I begin cooking spaghetti, stew, stroganoff, etc, and then dehydrate them.  After the dish is dehydrated, I put it in a freezer bag, until we go.  It has worked great for us.  The food has been delicious and we feel healthy.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 2, 2011
                                      Bronco, I remember, it was couple of hours North of Wanda Lake where we met, forget the name of that lake though.  I remember how tall you and your son are compared to me.  I look like a midget in the photo.  How tall are you two?

                                      On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Bronco <dawgbronco@...> wrote:

                                      We passed each other on the trail last year, Roleigh. I think the 1.5 lb. a day is more fitting for a warm weather excursion.

                                      > I've never gone beyond 1.5 lbs a day for food/consumables. Closer to 1.25
                                      > lbs.
                                      >
                                      > On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Bronco <dawgbronco@...> wrote:
                                      >

                                      > > Bishop Pass Trail on the 31st of July, day before Barbara Boomerang takes
                                      > > off. Coming down Whitney on the 10th.
                                      > > That 2.5 lb. a day guideline for food...is that hydrated? Seems like 2.5
                                      > > lb. of freeze-dried would blow up to the size of a watermelon. That's like
                                      > > 2-gallons of chicken.

                                    • Bronco
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
                                        Roleigh, I met Barbara and Alex, they said I had just passed you. I was with my friend and my son was, like all young'ns, up ahead. I suspect that's someone else in your photo. Will you be on trail this August?

                                        > Bronco, I remember, it was couple of hours North of Wanda Lake where we met,
                                        > forget the name of that lake though. I remember how tall you and your son
                                        > are compared to me. I look like a midget in the photo. How tall are you
                                        > two?
                                        >
                                        > On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Bronco <dawgbronco@...> wrote:
                                        >

                                        > > We passed each other on the trail last year, Roleigh. I think the 1.5 lb. a
                                        > > day is more fitting for a warm weather excursion.
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com <johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                        > > Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I've never gone beyond 1.5 lbs a day for food/consumables. Closer to 1.25
                                        > > > lbs.

                                        > > takes
                                        > > 2.5
                                        > > like

                                      • LEBRUN
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                                          Roleigh,

                                          I believe that picture is of me (Bruce Lebrun) and my son (Robby).  Taken on Sunday, August 1, about noon, North-end Evolution Lake.  I am 6' 2' and Robby is 6'5". It was nice to meet you and your hiking partner Barbara.

                                          Hope this helps.

                                          JMT 2009 and 2010 south to north.

                                          2011 planned trip: North Lake Tahoe (Squaw Valley Ski Area) to Yosemite Valley about 236 miles.

                                          Bruce Lebrun
                                          Los Alamos, New Mexico

                                          On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Bronco <dawgbronco@...> wrote:

                                          Roleigh, I met Barbara and Alex, they said I had just passed you. I was with my friend and my son was, like all young'ns, up ahead. I suspect that's someone else in your photo. Will you be on trail this August?

                                          > Bronco, I remember, it was couple of hours North of Wanda Lake where we met,
                                          > forget the name of that lake though. I remember how tall you and your son
                                          > are compared to me. I look like a midget in the photo. How tall are you
                                          > two?
                                          >
                                          > On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Bronco <dawgbronco@...> wrote:
                                          >

                                          > > We passed each other on the trail last year, Roleigh. I think the 1.5 lb. a
                                          > > day is more fitting for a warm weather excursion.
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com <johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                          > > Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > I've never gone beyond 1.5 lbs a day for food/consumables. Closer to 1.25
                                          > > > lbs.

                                          > > takes
                                          > > 2.5
                                          > > like

                                        • Barbara Karagosian
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                                            Actually the woman with Roleigh was Kim; I (Barbara) and Alix were further behind!

                                             Barbara