RE: [John Muir Trail] Whitney from Kings Canyon . . . and them pesky bears there . . .

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2011
      I concur, agree, and so on with "onkelbob's" suggestion that you be beary very aware while in Vidette Meadows . . . I've had a few encounters there and seen the results of a one or two others. Vidette just kinda creeps me out.

      I always make a hustle of it and get over Glen and up to the base (the meadow) of Forester, but if you have a hard slow time getting over Glen, there are a number of places before you get to the switchbacks down into Vidette, where you can stay . . . otherwise I go down and maybe stop at the bear box, but then always keep going.

      Lyell canyon is another bear hot spot at night. never seen one there during the day though, like I have at Vidette.

      Bob

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: onkelbob@...
      Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 00:44:54 +0000
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Whitney from Kings Canyon

      Bubbs Creek entry is definitely easier to obtain. Both Paradise and Bubbs Creek have a 25 hiker daily quota, but most want to go up Paradise as it's an easier climb to Upper Paradise than it is to reach Vidette or Junction Meadows. They provide reservations for 20 hikers and hold 5 back for walk ups. You can get a walk up permit at Roads End after 1:00p for the following day.

      I've done this route a couple of five times and rather like the walk up to Sphinx Creek in the early morning. However, depending on the time of year the mosquitoes can be brutal

      Also, Vidette is sierra bear central. If he (or you) camps there, keep a very close eye on the food, the bears are very active in that region.