Re: Alternative trailhead to Happy Isles?

  • Frank Martin
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 20, 2006
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "cnong" <cnong@...> wrote:

      > Frank,
      >
      > When I pick up a permit from Backcountry office the day before my
      > start date, does when and where to exit the trail affect the chance
      > to get a permit?
      >
      > Thanks,

      Hi,

      I've been out of town and off the web.

      When you exit is not an issue.

      Where could be, but not necessarily.

      If you enter Yosemite via 120 there is a permit office at the store
      right by the gate. Sometimes it is not staffed so then you must
      either go to the Valley of to TM.

      Last year I had my permit ahead of time. I know several people I met
      started the JMT hike at TM because they couldn't get a permit out of
      Happy Isles. It is posiible to do the 20-22 miles from Happy Isles to
      TM as a 'day hike' if you are lite and in good shape. Technically you
      don't need a permit for a 'day hike'. You have two good elevation
      gains out of the Valley there. Nevada Falls and Catherdral Pass.

      I know the rangers in the Permit Office (at least the ones I have had
      are really helpful. They can check the computer and tell you what
      your options are. You might find that some permits from TM or Glacier
      Point are available now even though through hike permits from Happy
      Isles aren't. It is a matter of asking questions. The really good
      experienced rangers will look at the big picture and explain your
      options. Some are training though and are really not that familiar
      with the whole sytem and will simply give a yes or no answer.

      Hope this helps.

      Good Luck,

      frank