RE: [John Muir Trail] Slideshow: Adjusting Trekking Pole Straps For Max Effect

  • Herb Stroh
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2011

      John—

      I didn’t need to enter anything to see the slide show. The website automatically pops up a subscription request, but if you close that screen you should be able to peruse the site.

      The slideshow does not address use of the poles, just the strap. John graciously loaned me the DVD referenced below, and I HIGHLY recommend it. You would think pole use is so obvious as to not require instruction, but I learned some very valuable techniques from the DVD.

      To address the problem of falling while strapped in I adjust my straps to be fairly loose and maintain a loose grip on descents. That provides a bit more responsiveness when trying to brace for a fall. But no question the poles can get in the way if you start to go down.

      Herb