Re: [John Muir Trail] Peanut Butter Squeeze Tubes

  • Peter Burke
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 27, 2011
      On 1/26/2011 9:43 PM, Barbara Karagosian wrote:
      I've used the Justin single use packets, PB, PB and honey, and Nutella!

      we sometimes pack the small one-serving packs (www.minimus.biz sells all kinds of things in single serving pouches - love Tapatio hot sauce that usually comes in glass), but for the longer segments on the trail, in a group of three, we just carry the 1 pound or even 2 pound plastic jars of Nutella and sometimes PB.   The refillable plastic tubes work alright, but it is a hassle to do at refill time and sometimes you end up eating out of the rear opening to get to the content.  We used them in the late 80s and early 90s. Hard to repack, hard to use when cold, but back then there were no plastic jars of PB so you could gain significant weight savings by repacking the PB. Jelly was just becoming available in the squeeze plastic back then. I remember that stuff really liked to leak from the repack tubes, so we brought it in the retail containers.