Greyhound vs. AMTRAK

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2011
      Sadly Greyhound cancelled its 395 route way back in about 1998 . . . You could catch the bus at about 11 p.m. in Lone Pine or midnight in Bishop and be in Reno by about 6 a.m. and san francisco by about 2 p.m.

       I did it twice and it was a bus ride full of spooky folks––toothless gamblers, pot heads, kids––all in all a pretty late night, low-rent crowd. Not to mention that you're stuck in the bus, with pretty much your crummy seat to call your own.

      I'm sure that the clientele of greyhound has improved immensely these past few years, but I'm still betting that you'd be better off riding AMTRAK.

      A lot of you have flown cross-country or from some other part of the world, only to have to get from the airport to a bus or a train and you're going to be much more comfortable stretching out on the train, than on a greyhound bus. Yes, your AMTRAK trip will no doubt involve a bus too, but the AMTRAK?YARTS buses are top-notch.

      I do also think that one you hit Merced, you DO get on a YARTS bus . . . but a bus is a bus is a bus . . . (unless it's a greyhound midnight crack-head up 395 bus!)

      BOB