Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Alternative trailhead to Happy Isles?

  • Jeff Alt
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
      JMT hikers: Mark your calenders if yout interested in attending my JMT
      show. See below for locations and details.
      April 20th, 2006
      Reno, NA, 7pm, REI clinic, 2225 Harvard Way, 775-828-9090: Jeff Alt will
      present his multi-media "John Muir Trail Show" Free and open to the
      public.

      April 19th, 2006
      Sacramento, CA area, 7pm, location to be announced in March: Jeff Alt
      will present his multi-media "John Muir Trail Show" Free and open to the
      public.

      April 18th, 2006
      Berkeley, CA, 7pm, REI clinic, 1338 San Pablo Ave. 510-527-1617: Jeff Alt
      will present his multi-media "John Muir Trail Show" Free and open to the
      public.

      April 17th, 2006
      Fresno, CA, 6-8pm, Barnes & Noble, 7849 N. Blackstone 559-437-0484.

      On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 03:11:57 -0000 "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
      writes:
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Will Schmidt"
      <willjschmidt@...> wrote:

      > I'm trying to plan a trip to do the northern portion of the JMT,
      > starting in Happy Isles. Of course, the permits are all gone for late
      > July/early August which is when I would like to start the trip. Is
      > there a good alternate trailhead in Yosemite that I can use to get a
      > permit that will still get me onto the JMT?

      Snow Creek Trail out of Mirrow Lake Yosemite Valley.

      Not so crowded, a tough trail but worth it. It heads up toward tenaya
      lake but you can bypass over to TM and pick up the JMT.

      Also they reserve a lot of permits and issue them at about 12:00 the
      day before. So even thought the reserved permits are all gone you can
      still go the day before and sometimes get a permit. With any
      Wilderness Permit you can spend the night at the Backpackers Campground.

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Thomas Pender
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
        what sort of show is this? are you giving a talk/ slideshow?

        Jeff Alt <altjt@...> wrote: JMT hikers: Mark your calenders if yout interested in attending my JMT

        <willjschmidt@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to plan a trip to do the northern portion of the JMT,
        > starting in Happy Isles. Of course, the permits are all gone for late
        > July/early August which is when I would like to start the trip. Is
        > there a good alternate trailhead in Yosemite that I can use to get a
        > permit that will still get me onto the JMT?

        Snow Creek Trail out of Mirrow Lake Yosemite Valley.

        Not so crowded, a tough trail but worth it. It heads up toward tenaya
        lake but you can bypass over to TM and pick up the JMT.

        Also they reserve a lot of permits and issue them at about 12:00 the
        day before. So even thought the reserved permits are all gone you can
        still go the day before and sometimes get a permit. With any
        Wilderness Permit you can spend the night at the Backpackers Campground.

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        High sierra sport High sierras

      • Jeff Alt
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2006
          I'm going to show slides and share stories from my JMT hike as discuss
          logistics, planning, food, training etc.

          <willjschmidt@...> wrote:

          > I'm trying to plan a trip to do the northern portion of the JMT,
          > starting in Happy Isles. Of course, the permits are all gone for late
          > July/early August which is when I would like to start the trip. Is
          > there a good alternate trailhead in Yosemite that I can use to get a
          > permit that will still get me onto the JMT?

          Snow Creek Trail out of Mirrow Lake Yosemite Valley.

          Not so crowded, a tough trail but worth it. It heads up toward tenaya
          lake but you can bypass over to TM and pick up the JMT.

          Also they reserve a lot of permits and issue them at about 12:00 the
          day before. So even thought the reserved permits are all gone you can
          still go the day before and sometimes get a permit. With any
          Wilderness Permit you can spend the night at the Backpackers Campground.

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          High sierra sport High sierras

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • jimr_pdx
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2006
            Neat! I did something in Portland's REI stores several years back,
            about using a digital camcorder while backpacking. It was pretty
            sparsely attended - can't recall what else happened that weekend, but
            it was a big outdoor run or something that pretty much emptied the
            whole store. (Can't remember if I showed the Sierra '99 or Wind River
            WY '98 trip.. maybe I'm posting this to the wrong group :)

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Alt <altjt@...> wrote:

            > I'm going to show slides and share stories from my JMT hike as
            discuss logistics, planning, food, training etc.

            > April 20th, 2006
            > Reno, NA, 7pm, REI clinic, 2225 Harvard Way, 775-828-9090: Jeff
            > April 19th, 2006
            > Sacramento, CA area, 7pm, location to be announced in March:
            > April 18th, 2006
            > Berkeley, CA, 7pm, REI clinic, 1338 San Pablo Ave. 510-527-1617: >
            > April 17th, 2006
            > Fresno, CA, 6-8pm, Barnes & Noble, 7849 N. Blackstone 559-437-0484.

          • Paulo
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 8, 2006
              will you be stopping at the rei, san francisco store?

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Alt <altjt@...> wrote:

              > I'm going to show slides and share stories from my JMT hike as discuss
              > logistics, planning, food, training etc.
              >
              > On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:18:06 -0800 (PST) Thomas Pender
              > <azgeo31479@...> writes:
              > what sort of show is this? are you giving a talk/ slideshow?
              >
              > Jeff Alt <altjt@...> wrote: JMT hikers: Mark your calenders if
              > yout interested in attending my JMT
              > show. See below for locations and details.
              > April 20th, 2006
              > Reno, NA, 7pm, REI clinic, 2225 Harvard Way, 775-828-9090: Jeff Alt will
              > present his multi-media "John Muir Trail Show" Free and open to the
              > public.
              >
              > April 19th, 2006
              > Sacramento, CA area, 7pm, location to be announced in March: Jeff Alt
              > will present his multi-media "John Muir Trail Show" Free and open
              to the
              > public.
              >
              > April 18th, 2006
              > Berkeley, CA, 7pm, REI clinic, 1338 San Pablo Ave. 510-527-1617:
              Jeff Alt
              > will present his multi-media "John Muir Trail Show" Free and open
              to the
              > public.

              > April 17th, 2006
              > Fresno, CA, 6-8pm, Barnes & Noble, 7849 N. Blackstone 559-437-0484.
              >
              > On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 03:11:57 -0000 "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>
              > writes:
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Will Schmidt"
              > <willjschmidt@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm trying to plan a trip to do the northern portion of the JMT,
              > > starting in Happy Isles. Of course, the permits are all gone for
              late
              > > July/early August which is when I would like to start the trip. Is
              > > there a good alternate trailhead in Yosemite that I can use to get a
              > > permit that will still get me onto the JMT?
              >

              > Snow Creek Trail out of Mirrow Lake Yosemite Valley.
              >
              > Not so crowded, a tough trail but worth it. It heads up toward tenaya
              > lake but you can bypass over to TM and pick up the JMT.
              >
              > Also they reserve a lot of permits and issue them at about 12:00 the
              > day before. So even thought the reserved permits are all gone you can
              > still go the day before and sometimes get a permit. With any
              > Wilderness Permit you can spend the night at the Backpackers Campground.

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

              > High sierra sport High sierras

              Service.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 9, 2006
                Here is my schedule of presentations. I'm scheduled to present in the
                Berkeley store which is as close to San Francisco as I will be.