Re: VVR & MTR

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 2, 2006
      On my ten-day thru-hike of JMT last summer I resupplied at MTR. They
      do sell items like fuel, postcards, and other miscellaneous items.
      They do not sell beer. I really had no interest in leaving the
      wilderness, taking the additional time, nor was I interested in the
      dehydrating effects of alcohol so I skipped VVR. The folks at MTR
      were very professional, efficient and cordial. I had put a Coke in
      my resupply bucket and it was cold at 10:00 AM when I arrived. I am
      sure you could do the same with a beer. Their storage building for
      the resupply buckets is relatively cool and I am sure it would be
      refreshing.

      I got to MTR at 10:00 AM and was back on the trail at 11:00 AM
      having sorted through my bucket, repacking my bear canister,
      drinking my cola and eating some food. I brought too much food and
      left quite a bit in the hiker box. They also take your garbage.
      There is a nice picnic table to sort through your bucket and repack
      although there were four hikers there at the same time I was there
      so it was a little crowded. They also have excellent water.

      I packed all my food except lunch and dinner in my canister which
      lasted to WP. Again, I had too much food and had some leftover when
      I finished the trip. I think over-packing food is a very common
      occurrence, although I did meet up with three college students who
      had run low on food and I was able to give them quite a bit of my
      extra.

      If you are traveling SOBO and have no interest in leaving the
      wilderness, MTR is the likely last resupply point. If you are
      adventurous, I would be willing to bet you could Yogi some extra
      food along the way...

      Dave

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I must say I had an excellent stay at VVR last year. The PCT
      crowd was
      > great, as well the other JMT hikers. I go there on a Saturday
      and
      > loved the
      > beer, BBQ, and live music. It was pricey; but what the heck,
      where
      > else can
      > you enjoy a respite from the trail at nearly the half way point
      of
      > the JMT?
      > Muir Trail Ranch does not offer anything, though one of their
      guests
      > gave
      > me a beer (and told me not let anyone there know about it), and
      they did
      > let me have a little cold lemonade before I continued on.
      >
      > Prapanna
      >
      > On Mar 1, 2006, at 7:08 PM, Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:
      >
      > > ok I get it...I know about vvr ...some have told me it is
      highly
      > > overrated but any place you can get a cold beer on the
      trail..well
      > > i think I have to go there...:)
      > >
      > > Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > where was the beer did thirsty hikers drink it all before you
      > > arrived?
      > >

      > > Hi Vera,
      > >
      > > VVR is a Resort that is used for resupply for the JMT or PCT.
      It is
      > > accesed by boat 2x/day or by hiking in. I think it is a 2.5
      mile
      > > hike in.
      > >
      > > If you are a through hiker and show your permit you get a 'free'
      beer
      > > and also get a night in the Backpacker's Dorm. It has very good
      food
      > > albeit quite expensive.
      > >
      > > When the boat 'left early' I just continued on but I did have a
      beer
      > > at Whitney Portal Store.

      > > High sierra sport High sierras

      > > Service.

      > > High sierra sport High sierras
      > >
      > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      > >
      > > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

      Service.

    • Vera Lehmkuhl
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 2, 2006
        cool thanks so much Frank...I am saving all this stuff for when I do the JMT...:)

        Frank Martin <sriprank@...> wrote:
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:

        > When we were planning last year the only reason to stop at Muir
        Ranch we thought was the ability to resupply before you go into that
        last LONG stretch carrying 9 million pounds of food. Where else can
        you resupply? I know some have said they hike a side trail to
        somewhere but I can't figure out where...and if its to the parking lot
        of that trail ...how do you guarantee a ride down and back to the trail?

        > thanks,
        > vera

        A lot of people on the PCT use the Post Office at Independence for
        resupply. People come out of Rae lakes going Sobo cross Glenn Pass and
        go directly up to Kersage Lakes. NoBO you are coming from Upper
        Viddete. If your timings are right on you can camp at KL and start
        down early morning to Onion Valley and hitch a ride to Independence.
        Go to the P.O. and back up kersage in one day. I did this some years
        back and just left most of my gear with a friend at the campsite and
        went down with an empty pack. He spent the day fishing. Of course you
        must be sure the P.O. is open and not a Sunday or Holiday. There are
        also motels in Independence that cater to hikers . Some provide
        shuttle to/from Onion valley but really it is a easy hitch. There is
        also a small expensive store there that doesn't really stock that much
        for hikers. A lot of through hikers will opt to go to Bishop which
        has a major supermarket (Ralph's) or to Lone Pine which has a smaller
        one. Not much for food there other than a Subway Sandwich shop and a
        very good but expensive restaurant. But really if doing the JMT you
        are pretty close to the end of the line. Just 3-4 days or less to the
        Portal. A lot of times you will find hikers just dying to rid
        themselves of extra food weight who will give you all you need.

        You might also check with the packers at the stables at Onion Valley.
        A lot of times people just leave extra stuff with them, particularly
        extra fuel as people can't take it with them on airplanes.

        High sierra sport High sierras