Re: [John Muir Trail] car shuttle for southbound trip

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2006
      Actually, it's better to leave your car at Whitney Portal and
      hitchhike up to Yosemite.
      That way your car will be waiting for you at the end of the hike.

      On Feb 17, 2006, at 10:13 PM, Bob wrote:

      > The CREST is certainly an option, but I believe it runs on alternate
      > full moons +/-. As for hitching, you have to wonder about anybody
      > who would pick up a geezer on 395 who had been hiking for two and a
      > half weeks. If worse comes to worse I'll park the car in Yosemite
      > and figure out what to do next when I get to Whitney Portal.
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Bob,
      > >
      > > If you can't find a ride, you can take the CREST transit system
      > from
      > > Lone Pine to Mammoth, and then from Mammoth there's a shuttle to
      > > Yosemite.
      > >
      > > But if you are in for more of an adventure, or if you are
      > traveling
      > > on a Sunday or holiday (as I was last year when I left my car at
      > > Whitney Portal on Sunday, July 3 - and therefore had two days of
      > > travel without CREST being available), you can try hitchhiking up
      > > Yosemite. It took me only four rides and two days to do so and
      > it
      > > was a good experience, particularly since I had never done
      > anything
      > > like that before.
      > >
      > > Good Luck!
      > >
      > > Prapanna
      > >
      > > On Feb 10, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Bob wrote:
      > >
      > > > I am interested in arranging a car shuttle for a southbound thru
      > hike
      > > > of the JMT starting in late July or early August. I'm planning
      > on 13-
      > > > 16 miles a day with a zero day at VVR. I've section hiked
      > before
      > > > 2000-
      > > > 2002. Happy Trails, Bob R

      > > > High sierra sport High sierras
      > > >
      > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      > > >
      > > > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

      > Service.

      > High sierra sport High sierras
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2006
        It's easier (at least you THINK its easier) if you
        clean up and shave before sticking out the thumb.
        I've done it both ways on 395 without a problem.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • raoul
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27, 2006
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@...> wrote:

          > I am interested in arranging a car shuttle for a southbound thru
          hike
          > of the JMT starting in late July or early August. I'm planning on
          13-
          > 16 miles a day with a zero day at VVR. I've section hiked before
          2000-
          > 2002. Happy Trails, Bob R

          Hi Bob! I too am planning to hike the JMT in August. No. to So.
          I have a reservation for a permit on Aug. 14th. I have one buddy
          going to the VVR and then I would be solo. You may be a bit faster
          than I, I am planning an exit on Sept 1st or thereabouts. But plan
          to avg. about 10-12 miles/day. (We'll see how I do!) It seems you
          may catch up to us around the VVR perhaps. Ive got my family to
          take us in...may or may not have space for one more...where are you
          located? I am in Santa Cruz....
        • Bob
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 31, 2006
            Hey. I've been working on my wife to follow me to Lone Pine so I
            could drop off my car and have her schlep me to Yosemite.
            Negotiations continue with the same level of success as the Israelis
            and Palestinians, so I'm going to Plan B. That would be to drive
            from where I live in SLO to Yosemite, then try to find a ride back
            to my car from WP after completing the hike. After staring at the
            CREST schedule for some time, I'm still not sure if I could take it
            from Lone Pine to Mammoth so I could pick up the YARTS back to
            Yosemite Valley. Maybe I'll see you on the trail. I'm planning on
            finishing around Labor Day. Good luck with your hike!