rides

  • John Randall
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 18, 2006
      Yosemite-Mammoth: http://www.yarts.com/map.html

      Mammoth-Lone Pine (to
      Ridgecrest):http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/transit.htm

      Ridgecrest-Southern Kern (Bakersfield, Mojave):
      http://www.co.kern.ca.us/roads/kernregionaltransit.asp

      Lone Pine/Whitney Portal--easy hitch.

      john randall
      birmingham, al
      1989 JMT thru-hiker
    • Colleen Beach
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 19, 2006
        how about the most difficult part of the trail?

      • Bob
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 21, 2006
          No matter whether you're heading north or south it's likely that your
          first day will be the toughest. Going south you climb from 4000 to
          about 9700 before descending to Sunrise HSC, and trail conditioning is
          a real phenomenon no matter how much you work out. Going north is
          worse due to the altitude. If you're heading south like 90% of thru-
          hikers you can stop at Little Yosemite or the cutoff for Clouds Rest,
          commune with the local bears, and have a reasonable first day out.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Colleen Beach <beacher987@...>
          wrote:

          > how about the most difficult part of the trail?

        • hmdsierra
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 22, 2006
            Our first nights camp was at the Cloud's Rest turnoff. There was a
            bear cable there in 1982. It was still there in '89 where we stayed
            after coming down from Clouds Rest.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@...> wrote:

            > No matter whether you're heading north or south it's likely that your
            > first day will be the toughest. Going south you climb from 4000 to
            > about 9700 before descending to Sunrise HSC, and trail conditioning is
            > a real phenomenon no matter how much you work out. Going north is
            > worse due to the altitude. If you're heading south like 90% of thru-
            > hikers you can stop at Little Yosemite or the cutoff for Clouds Rest,
            > commune with the local bears, and have a reasonable first day out.
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Colleen Beach <beacher987@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > how about the most difficult part of the trail?

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 23, 2006
              On my 2005 thru-hike of 9.5 days, my first day of 27 miles from YV
              to TM was undoubtedly the most taxing. I started out too fast and
              ran out of gas on Cathedral Pass but picked it up after eating and
              descending toward the lakes. The other tough part of the trail for
              me was from Crabtree Meadows to Guitar Lake. It was afternoon, I'd
              already been over Forester Pass and I probably was suffering from a
              lack of adequate nutrition but it was a tough haul.

              I agree that regardless of starting north or south, your first day
              will be the most demanding, however beginning in YV you can resupply
              at TM or Reds and eliminate a lot of weight versus the food you need
              to carry over Trail Crest.

              Dave

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Our first nights camp was at the Cloud's Rest turnoff. There was a
              > bear cable there in 1982. It was still there in '89 where we
              stayed
              > after coming down from Clouds Rest.
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@> wrote:
              > >
              > > No matter whether you're heading north or south it's likely that
              your
              > > first day will be the toughest. Going south you climb from 4000
              > > about 9700 before descending to Sunrise HSC, and trail
              conditioning is
              > > a real phenomenon no matter how much you work out. Going north
              is
              > > worse due to the altitude. If you're heading south like 90% of
              thru-
              > > hikers you can stop at Little Yosemite or the cutoff for Clouds
              Rest,
              > > commune with the local bears, and have a reasonable first day
              out.

              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Colleen Beach
              <beacher987@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > how about the most difficult part of the trail?

            • Jim Martin
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 23, 2006
                Hi All..........

                I hiked with a buddy from North to South in the summer
                of 2003. We had heavy packs coming out of the valley
                and it just about killed us. So I can imagine what it
                would be like in the opposite direction, although I
                plan on doing it someday.

                We ran into a couple going the opposite way on their
                last day of completing the trip from South to North.
                Their advise to us was to ditch as much weight as
                possible. So we sent supplies home from the meadows
                and then sent half of our re-supply home from
                Vermillion since we were not eating much.

                Well you can guess what happened. We started eating
                like mad the last half of the trip and ended up
                running out of food near Rae Lakes. We were
                successful in begging food from weekenders the rest of
                the way. Plus the backcountry ranger stations have
                hiker boxes for those needing supplies or wanting to
                drop off excess supplies. It worked so well, I told
                my buddy we should try the trip someday begging food
                and fuel the whole way. I bet it could be done!!!

                Trip report with photos for those that are interested:

                http://www.catchafallingstar.com/jmt/johnmuirtrail2003.htm

                Jim

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • hmdsierra
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 23, 2006
                  Our first resupply was Red's Mdw. That way we cam out of the Valley
                  light. It was 5 days from Happy Isles to Red's Mdw. Our plan was to
                  take all the rest of the food from there to finish. However, my
                  friend had knee problems so my 10 year old son and I took enough to
                  last two weeks and my friend planned on rejoining us at Vidette. He
                  was unable to continue with us from there but he and his wife brought
                  in more than enough food for us to finish the last 5 days to Whitney
                  Portal. We were pretty thin on food when we got ther but we could
                  have finished by moving faster and having some luck fishing. We had a
                  couple of Cup-O-Noodles, popcorn, dried fruit, and flour for gravy.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jim Martin <anasazipottery@...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > > descending toward the lakes. The other tough part of
                  > > the trail for
                  > > me was from Crabtree Meadows to Guitar Lake. It was
                  > > afternoon, I'd
                  > > already been over Forester Pass and I probably was
                  > > suffering from a
                  > > lack of adequate nutrition but it was a tough haul.
                  > >
                  > > I agree that regardless of starting north or south,
                  > > your first day
                  > > will be the most demanding, however beginning in YV
                  > > you can resupply
                  > > at TM or Reds and eliminate a lot of weight versus
                  > > the food you need
                  > > to carry over Trail Crest.
                  > >
                  > > Dave
                  > >
                  > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
                  > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Our first nights camp was at the Cloud's Rest
                  > > turnoff. There was a
                  > > > bear cable there in 1982. It was still there in

                • Bob
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 23, 2006
                    27 miles on day 1 is truly awesome. Did you run at any point?

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <idahomtman@...> wrote:

                    > On my 2005 thru-hike of 9.5 days, my first day of 27 miles from YV
                    > to TM was undoubtedly the most taxing. I started out too fast and
                    > ran out of gas on Cathedral Pass but picked it up after eating and
                    > descending toward the lakes. The other tough part of the trail for
                    > me was from Crabtree Meadows to Guitar Lake. It was afternoon, I'd
                    > already been over Forester Pass and I probably was suffering from
                    > lack of adequate nutrition but it was a tough haul.
                    >
                    > I agree that regardless of starting north or south, your first day
                    > will be the most demanding, however beginning in YV you can
                    resupply
                    > at TM or Reds and eliminate a lot of weight versus the food you
                    need
                    > to carry over Trail Crest.
                    >
                    > Dave
                    >
                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Our first nights camp was at the Cloud's Rest turnoff. There
                    was a
                    > > bear cable there in 1982. It was still there in '89 where we
                    > stayed
                    > > after coming down from Clouds Rest.
                    > >
                    > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > No matter whether you're heading north or south it's likely
                    that
                    > your
                    > > > first day will be the toughest. Going south you climb from
                    4000
                    > > > about 9700 before descending to Sunrise HSC, and trail
                    > conditioning is
                    > > > a real phenomenon no matter how much you work out. Going
                    north
                    > is
                    > > > worse due to the altitude. If you're heading south like 90%
                    of
                    > thru-
                    > > > hikers you can stop at Little Yosemite or the cutoff for
                    Clouds
                    > Rest,
                    > > > commune with the local bears, and have a reasonable first day
                    > out.
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Colleen Beach
                    > <beacher987@>

                  • Frank Martin
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 24, 2006
                      What I did was park my car at TM and cache 13 days food in the Bear
                      Lockers there and hitched down to the Backpackers Campground. I got a
                      late start because I had to pick up my permit the next day. I
                      intended to stop at Sierra Camp but the bugs there were so bad I just
                      went on to just short of TM.

                      I went from TM to the Portal without resupply. I don't know if I
                      would ever do this again but it was a interesting experiment to see
                      how my body held up with the food and long hiking days.

                      The other thing I just hated the bureaucracy of resupply. The store
                      at RED's closes at 6 or 7 PM, the boat at VVR leaves at 2x/day and the
                      detour at MTR. I just wanted to hike as far as I could each day and
                      not think about any of this.

                      It worked for me.

                      I was at Yosemite two weekends ago. Not really much snow there. We
                      hiked up the road to Ostander and camped and did Sentinel Dome. Of
                      course a lot could change between now and late June but compared to
                      last winter very little snow up there.

                    • Prapanna Smith
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 24, 2006
                        Is that Sri Prank? What hike are you planning for this year?

                        Prapanna

                        On Feb 24, 2006, at 6:20 AM, Frank Martin wrote:

                        > What I did was park my car at TM and cache 13 days food in the Bear
                        > Lockers there and hitched down to the Backpackers Campground. I got a
                        > late start because I had to pick up my permit the next day. I
                        > intended to stop at Sierra Camp but the bugs there were so bad I just
                        > went on to just short of TM.
                        >
                        > I went from TM to the Portal without resupply. I don't know if I
                        > would ever do this again but it was a interesting experiment to see
                        > how my body held up with the food and long hiking days.
                        >
                        > The other thing I just hated the bureaucracy of resupply. The store
                        > at RED's closes at 6 or 7 PM, the boat at VVR leaves at 2x/day and the
                        > detour at MTR. I just wanted to hike as far as I could each day and
                        > not think about any of this.
                        >
                        > It worked for me.
                        >
                        > I was at Yosemite two weekends ago. Not really much snow there. We
                        > hiked up the road to Ostander and camped and did Sentinel Dome. Of
                        > course a lot could change between now and late June but compared to
                        > last winter very little snow up there.

                        > High sierra sport High sierras
                        >
                        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                        >
                        > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

                      • Frank Martin
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 24, 2006
                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:

                          > Is that Sri Prank? What hike are you planning for this year?
                          >
                          > Prapanna

                          Hi Prapana,

                          It's me.

                          I've got a lot of things 'penciled in'. I've started some 'peak
                          bagging' and did Tolkum Glacier route at Shasta.

                          A bunch of other stuff. I'm lookig for some x-country backpacking for
                          spring/summer and still interested in Roper's Route.

                          What parts do you intend to do? I've got the book and going to Kauai
                          for a couple of weeks so I can read up.

                          I've also been taking some compass and GPS classes because my
                          x-country route finding skills need a lot of work.

                          Write me your plans.

                          Take care,

                          frank
                        • Prapanna Smith
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 24, 2006
                            Hey Frank,

                            I really want to do the first leg (an more) of Roper's High Route
                            this year, but I have to go out during the last week of June and the
                            first week of July. I figure the trek from Kings Canyon to Pine
                            Creek road end (East of Lake Italy) can be done in about 14 days, but
                            I am concerned that my time frame may be too early for the High
                            Route. Hopefully there will much less snow than last year and it may
                            be doable at that time.

                            If you would like to join me, I would be delighted. I would much
                            rather have a partner or two for a x-country trek like this. There
                            is another fellow (Tony, are you member of this yahoo group?) I met
                            at VVR I am planning to invite to join me as well. My tentative
                            dates are from June 25 to July 8.

                            Prapanna

                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 27, 2006
                              Jim, your site has great pics and some seriously weird text!

                              Bob R

                              <anasazipottery@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > descending toward the lakes. The other tough part of
                              > > the trail for
                              > > me was from Crabtree Meadows to Guitar Lake. It was
                              > > afternoon, I'd
                              > > already been over Forester Pass and I probably was
                              > > suffering from a
                              > > lack of adequate nutrition but it was a tough haul.
                              > >
                              > > I agree that regardless of starting north or south,
                              > > your first day
                              > > will be the most demanding, however beginning in YV
                              > > you can resupply
                              > > at TM or Reds and eliminate a lot of weight versus
                              > > the food you need
                              > > to carry over Trail Crest.
                              > >
                              > > Dave
                              > >
                              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra
                              > > <no_reply@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Our first nights camp was at the Cloud's Rest
                              > > turnoff. There was a
                              > > > bear cable there in 1982. It was still there in

                            • Bob
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 27, 2006
                                Frank, it looks like you survived the experiment. I can relate to
                                the freedom of having no agenda other than hiking far. On my middle
                                leg of a 3 year section hike in 2001 I found VVR was a nice break
                                from hiking solo for a few days. It's hard to beat the cold beer,
                                barbeque, hot showers, and chance to swap tales with fellow
                                travellers.

                                Bob R

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Martin" <sriprank@...>

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 28, 2006
                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@...> wrote:

                                  > Frank, it looks like you survived the experiment. I can relate to
                                  > the freedom of having no agenda other than hiking far. On my middle
                                  > leg of a 3 year section hike in 2001 I found VVR was a nice break
                                  > from hiking solo for a few days. It's hard to beat the cold beer,
                                  > barbeque, hot showers, and chance to swap tales with fellow
                                  > travellers.
                                  >
                                  > Bob R

                                  I actually looked at my watch coming over Silver Pass and knew I could
                                  make the boat if I hustled. I figured a cold beer and a nice meal
                                  even if I wasn't going to resupply.

                                  It was close I got to the Bridge and jogged the last 3/4 mile to the
                                  dock. I got there well in time but the boat left 8 minutes early.

                                  Not only did I not get a cold beer I wore myself out getting there and
                                  the worst part was those 'zero miles'. I went back to the bridge and
                                  spent the night there. The next day I went from there to Piute Pass
                                  where I ran into Pranpanna.

                                  It wasn't any big deal. I really was looking forward to the beer
                                  though. So much of solo hiking is keeping your mind upbeat. I really
                                  enjoy it. It just really teaches you a lot about yourself.

                                  frank
                                • Jim Martin
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 28, 2006
                                    Thanks for the comments. My buddy on the trip takes
                                    really good photos. And as you noticed, he has a
                                    weird sense of humor!!!

                                    Jim

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • Vera Lehmkuhl
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 28, 2006
                                      where was the beer did thirsty hikers drink it all before you arrived?

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
                                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:

                                        > where was the beer did thirsty hikers drink it all before you arrived?

                                        Hi Vera,

                                        VVR is a Resort that is used for resupply for the JMT or PCT. It is
                                        accesed by boat 2x/day or by hiking in. I think it is a 2.5 mile hike in.

                                        If you are a through hiker and show your permit you get a 'free' beer
                                        and also get a night in the Backpacker's Dorm. It has very good food
                                        albeit quite expensive.

                                        When the boat 'left early' I just continued on but I did have a beer
                                        at Whitney Portal Store.

                                      • Vera Lehmkuhl
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
                                          ok I get it...I know about vvr ...some have told me it is highly overrated but any place you can get a cold beer on the trail..well i think I have to go there...:)

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
                                            Hi All,

                                            I must say I had an excellent stay at VVR last year. The PCT crowd was
                                            great, as well the other JMT hikers. I go there on a Saturday and
                                            loved the
                                            beer, BBQ, and live music. It was pricey; but what the heck, where
                                            else can
                                            you enjoy a respite from the trail at nearly the half way point of
                                            the JMT?
                                            Muir Trail Ranch does not offer anything, though one of their guests
                                            gave
                                            me a beer (and told me not let anyone there know about it), and they did
                                            let me have a little cold lemonade before I continued on.

                                            Prapanna

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 2, 2006
                                              When we were planning last year the only reason to stop at Muir Ranch we thought was the ability to resupply before you go into that last LONG stretch carrying 9 million pounds of food. Where else can you resupply? I know some have said they hike a side trail to somewhere but I can't figure out where...and if its to the parking lot of that trail ...how do you guarantee a ride down and back to the trail?

                                              thanks,
                                              vera

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 2, 2006
                                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:

                                                > When we were planning last year the only reason to stop at Muir
                                                Ranch we thought was the ability to resupply before you go into that
                                                last LONG stretch carrying 9 million pounds of food. Where else can
                                                you resupply? I know some have said they hike a side trail to
                                                somewhere but I can't figure out where...and if its to the parking lot
                                                of that trail ...how do you guarantee a ride down and back to the trail?

                                                > thanks,
                                                > vera

                                                A lot of people on the PCT use the Post Office at Independence for
                                                resupply. People come out of Rae lakes going Sobo cross Glenn Pass and
                                                go directly up to Kersage Lakes. NoBO you are coming from Upper
                                                Viddete. If your timings are right on you can camp at KL and start
                                                down early morning to Onion Valley and hitch a ride to Independence.
                                                Go to the P.O. and back up kersage in one day. I did this some years
                                                back and just left most of my gear with a friend at the campsite and
                                                went down with an empty pack. He spent the day fishing. Of course you
                                                must be sure the P.O. is open and not a Sunday or Holiday. There are
                                                also motels in Independence that cater to hikers . Some provide
                                                shuttle to/from Onion valley but really it is a easy hitch. There is
                                                also a small expensive store there that doesn't really stock that much
                                                for hikers. A lot of through hikers will opt to go to Bishop which
                                                has a major supermarket (Ralph's) or to Lone Pine which has a smaller
                                                one. Not much for food there other than a Subway Sandwich shop and a
                                                very good but expensive restaurant. But really if doing the JMT you
                                                are pretty close to the end of the line. Just 3-4 days or less to the
                                                Portal. A lot of times you will find hikers just dying to rid
                                                themselves of extra food weight who will give you all you need.

                                                You might also check with the packers at the stables at Onion Valley.
                                                A lot of times people just leave extra stuff with them, particularly
                                                extra fuel as people can't take it with them on airplanes.

                                              • Dave
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 2, 2006
                                                  On my ten-day thru-hike of JMT last summer I resupplied at MTR. They
                                                  do sell items like fuel, postcards, and other miscellaneous items.
                                                  They do not sell beer. I really had no interest in leaving the
                                                  wilderness, taking the additional time, nor was I interested in the
                                                  dehydrating effects of alcohol so I skipped VVR. The folks at MTR
                                                  were very professional, efficient and cordial. I had put a Coke in
                                                  my resupply bucket and it was cold at 10:00 AM when I arrived. I am
                                                  sure you could do the same with a beer. Their storage building for
                                                  the resupply buckets is relatively cool and I am sure it would be
                                                  refreshing.

                                                  I got to MTR at 10:00 AM and was back on the trail at 11:00 AM
                                                  having sorted through my bucket, repacking my bear canister,
                                                  drinking my cola and eating some food. I brought too much food and
                                                  left quite a bit in the hiker box. They also take your garbage.
                                                  There is a nice picnic table to sort through your bucket and repack
                                                  although there were four hikers there at the same time I was there
                                                  so it was a little crowded. They also have excellent water.

                                                  I packed all my food except lunch and dinner in my canister which
                                                  lasted to WP. Again, I had too much food and had some leftover when
                                                  I finished the trip. I think over-packing food is a very common
                                                  occurrence, although I did meet up with three college students who
                                                  had run low on food and I was able to give them quite a bit of my
                                                  extra.

                                                  If you are traveling SOBO and have no interest in leaving the
                                                  wilderness, MTR is the likely last resupply point. If you are
                                                  adventurous, I would be willing to bet you could Yogi some extra
                                                  food along the way...

                                                  Dave

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 2, 2006
                                                    cool thanks so much Frank...I am saving all this stuff for when I do the JMT...:)