Re: [John Muir Trail] car shuttle for southbound trip

  • JD Schaefer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2006
      Despite my geezerocity and relative trail decripitude, I've never waited
      more than 15-minutes on #395 either pre- or post- hike. Once a
      sub-100-lb snowboarder that looked like Heidi picked me up near
      Mammoth. I couldn't help but think if she were my daughter I wouldn't
      want her picking me up. Then I realized that sounded as dumb as an old
      Groucho Marx line, and enjoyed the ride.
      JD
      PS Bringing a black magic marker and then finding a piece of cardboard
      for a sign always seems to help

      Bob wrote:

      >The CREST is certainly an option, but I believe it runs on alternate
      >full moons +/-. As for hitching, you have to wonder about anybody
      >who would pick up a geezer on 395 who had been hiking for two and a
      >half weeks. If worse comes to worse I'll park the car in Yosemite
      >and figure out what to do next when I get to Whitney Portal.
      >
      >--- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
      >wrote:
      >

      >>Bob,
      >>
      >>If you can't find a ride, you can take the CREST transit system
      >>

      >from
      >

      >>Lone Pine to Mammoth, and then from Mammoth there's a shuttle to
      >>Yosemite.
      >>
      >>But if you are in for more of an adventure, or if you are
      >>

      >traveling
      >

      >>on a Sunday or holiday (as I was last year when I left my car at
      >>Whitney Portal on Sunday, July 3 - and therefore had two days of
      >>travel without CREST being available), you can try hitchhiking up

      >>Yosemite. It took me only four rides and two days to do so and
      >>

      >it
      >

      >>was a good experience, particularly since I had never done
      >>

      >anything
      >

      >>like that before.
      >>
      >>Good Luck!
      >>
      >>Prapanna
      >>
      >>On Feb 10, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Bob wrote:
      >>

      >>>I am interested in arranging a car shuttle for a southbound thru
      >>>

      >hike
      >

      >>>of the JMT starting in late July or early August. I'm planning
      >>>

      >on 13-
      >

      >>>16 miles a day with a zero day at VVR. I've section hiked
      >>>

      >before
      >

      >>>2000-
      >>>2002. Happy Trails, Bob R

      >>>High sierra sport High sierras
      >>>
      >>>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >>>
      >>> Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

      >>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      >>>

      >Service.

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Prapanna Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2006
        Actually, it's better to leave your car at Whitney Portal and
        hitchhike up to Yosemite.
        That way your car will be waiting for you at the end of the hike.

        On Feb 17, 2006, at 10:13 PM, Bob wrote:

        > The CREST is certainly an option, but I believe it runs on alternate
        > full moons +/-. As for hitching, you have to wonder about anybody
        > who would pick up a geezer on 395 who had been hiking for two and a
        > half weeks. If worse comes to worse I'll park the car in Yosemite
        > and figure out what to do next when I get to Whitney Portal.
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Bob,
        > >
        > > If you can't find a ride, you can take the CREST transit system
        > from
        > > Lone Pine to Mammoth, and then from Mammoth there's a shuttle to
        > > Yosemite.
        > >
        > > But if you are in for more of an adventure, or if you are
        > traveling
        > > on a Sunday or holiday (as I was last year when I left my car at
        > > Whitney Portal on Sunday, July 3 - and therefore had two days of
        > > travel without CREST being available), you can try hitchhiking up
        > > Yosemite. It took me only four rides and two days to do so and
        > it
        > > was a good experience, particularly since I had never done
        > anything
        > > like that before.
        > >
        > > Good Luck!
        > >
        > > Prapanna
        > >
        > > On Feb 10, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Bob wrote:
        > >
        > > > I am interested in arranging a car shuttle for a southbound thru
        > hike
        > > > of the JMT starting in late July or early August. I'm planning
        > on 13-
        > > > 16 miles a day with a zero day at VVR. I've section hiked
        > before
        > > > 2000-
        > > > 2002. Happy Trails, Bob R

        > > > High sierra sport High sierras
        > > >
        > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > > >
        > > > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

        > Service.

        > High sierra sport High sierras
        >
        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 18, 2006
          It's easier (at least you THINK its easier) if you
          clean up and shave before sticking out the thumb.
          I've done it both ways on 395 without a problem.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • raoul
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 27, 2006
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@...> wrote:

            > I am interested in arranging a car shuttle for a southbound thru
            hike
            > of the JMT starting in late July or early August. I'm planning on
            13-
            > 16 miles a day with a zero day at VVR. I've section hiked before
            2000-
            > 2002. Happy Trails, Bob R

            Hi Bob! I too am planning to hike the JMT in August. No. to So.
            I have a reservation for a permit on Aug. 14th. I have one buddy
            going to the VVR and then I would be solo. You may be a bit faster
            than I, I am planning an exit on Sept 1st or thereabouts. But plan
            to avg. about 10-12 miles/day. (We'll see how I do!) It seems you
            may catch up to us around the VVR perhaps. Ive got my family to
            take us in...may or may not have space for one more...where are you
            located? I am in Santa Cruz....
          • Bob
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 31, 2006
              Hey. I've been working on my wife to follow me to Lone Pine so I
              could drop off my car and have her schlep me to Yosemite.
              Negotiations continue with the same level of success as the Israelis
              and Palestinians, so I'm going to Plan B. That would be to drive
              from where I live in SLO to Yosemite, then try to find a ride back
              to my car from WP after completing the hike. After staring at the
              CREST schedule for some time, I'm still not sure if I could take it
              from Lone Pine to Mammoth so I could pick up the YARTS back to
              Yosemite Valley. Maybe I'll see you on the trail. I'm planning on
              finishing around Labor Day. Good luck with your hike!