Re: [John Muir Trail] car shuttle for southbound trip

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 17, 2006
      The CREST is certainly an option, but I believe it runs on alternate
      full moons +/-. As for hitching, you have to wonder about anybody
      who would pick up a geezer on 395 who had been hiking for two and a
      half weeks. If worse comes to worse I'll park the car in Yosemite
      and figure out what to do next when I get to Whitney Portal.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
      wrote:

      > Bob,
      >
      > If you can't find a ride, you can take the CREST transit system
      from
      > Lone Pine to Mammoth, and then from Mammoth there's a shuttle to
      > Yosemite.
      >
      > But if you are in for more of an adventure, or if you are
      traveling
      > on a Sunday or holiday (as I was last year when I left my car at
      > Whitney Portal on Sunday, July 3 - and therefore had two days of
      > travel without CREST being available), you can try hitchhiking up
      > Yosemite. It took me only four rides and two days to do so and
      it
      > was a good experience, particularly since I had never done
      anything
      > like that before.
      >
      > Good Luck!
      >
      > Prapanna
      >
      > On Feb 10, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Bob wrote:
      >
      > > I am interested in arranging a car shuttle for a southbound thru
      hike
      > > of the JMT starting in late July or early August. I'm planning
      on 13-
      > > 16 miles a day with a zero day at VVR. I've section hiked
      before
      > > 2000-
      > > 2002. Happy Trails, Bob R

      > > High sierra sport High sierras
      > >
      > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      > >
      > > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

      Service.

    • JD Schaefer
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2006
        Despite my geezerocity and relative trail decripitude, I've never waited
        more than 15-minutes on #395 either pre- or post- hike. Once a
        sub-100-lb snowboarder that looked like Heidi picked me up near
        Mammoth. I couldn't help but think if she were my daughter I wouldn't
        want her picking me up. Then I realized that sounded as dumb as an old
        Groucho Marx line, and enjoyed the ride.
        JD
        PS Bringing a black magic marker and then finding a piece of cardboard
        for a sign always seems to help

        Bob wrote:

        >The CREST is certainly an option, but I believe it runs on alternate
        >full moons +/-. As for hitching, you have to wonder about anybody
        >who would pick up a geezer on 395 who had been hiking for two and a
        >half weeks. If worse comes to worse I'll park the car in Yosemite
        >and figure out what to do next when I get to Whitney Portal.
        >
        >--- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
        >wrote:
        >

        >>Bob,
        >>
        >>If you can't find a ride, you can take the CREST transit system
        >>

        >from
        >

        >>Lone Pine to Mammoth, and then from Mammoth there's a shuttle to
        >>Yosemite.
        >>
        >>But if you are in for more of an adventure, or if you are
        >>

        >traveling
        >

        >>on a Sunday or holiday (as I was last year when I left my car at
        >>Whitney Portal on Sunday, July 3 - and therefore had two days of
        >>travel without CREST being available), you can try hitchhiking up

        >>Yosemite. It took me only four rides and two days to do so and
        >>

        >it
        >

        >>was a good experience, particularly since I had never done
        >>

        >anything
        >

        >>like that before.
        >>
        >>Good Luck!
        >>
        >>Prapanna
        >>
        >>On Feb 10, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Bob wrote:
        >>

        >>>I am interested in arranging a car shuttle for a southbound thru
        >>>

        >hike
        >

        >>>of the JMT starting in late July or early August. I'm planning
        >>>

        >on 13-
        >

        >>>16 miles a day with a zero day at VVR. I've section hiked
        >>>

        >before
        >

        >>>2000-
        >>>2002. Happy Trails, Bob R

        >>>High sierra sport High sierras
        >>>
        >>>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >>>
        >>> Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

        >>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        >>>

        >Service.

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Prapanna Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 18, 2006
          Actually, it's better to leave your car at Whitney Portal and
          hitchhike up to Yosemite.
          That way your car will be waiting for you at the end of the hike.

          On Feb 17, 2006, at 10:13 PM, Bob wrote:

          > The CREST is certainly an option, but I believe it runs on alternate
          > full moons +/-. As for hitching, you have to wonder about anybody
          > who would pick up a geezer on 395 who had been hiking for two and a
          > half weeks. If worse comes to worse I'll park the car in Yosemite
          > and figure out what to do next when I get to Whitney Portal.
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Bob,
          > >
          > > If you can't find a ride, you can take the CREST transit system
          > from
          > > Lone Pine to Mammoth, and then from Mammoth there's a shuttle to
          > > Yosemite.
          > >
          > > But if you are in for more of an adventure, or if you are
          > traveling
          > > on a Sunday or holiday (as I was last year when I left my car at
          > > Whitney Portal on Sunday, July 3 - and therefore had two days of
          > > travel without CREST being available), you can try hitchhiking up
          > > Yosemite. It took me only four rides and two days to do so and
          > it
          > > was a good experience, particularly since I had never done
          > anything
          > > like that before.
          > >
          > > Good Luck!
          > >
          > > Prapanna
          > >
          > > On Feb 10, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Bob wrote:
          > >
          > > > I am interested in arranging a car shuttle for a southbound thru
          > hike
          > > > of the JMT starting in late July or early August. I'm planning
          > on 13-
          > > > 16 miles a day with a zero day at VVR. I've section hiked
          > before
          > > > 2000-
          > > > 2002. Happy Trails, Bob R

          > > > High sierra sport High sierras
          > > >
          > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          > > >
          > > > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

          > Service.

          > High sierra sport High sierras
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

        • thomas taylor
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 18, 2006
            It's easier (at least you THINK its easier) if you
            clean up and shave before sticking out the thumb.
            I've done it both ways on 395 without a problem.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • raoul
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 27, 2006
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <rrichey@...> wrote:

              > I am interested in arranging a car shuttle for a southbound thru
              hike
              > of the JMT starting in late July or early August. I'm planning on
              13-
              > 16 miles a day with a zero day at VVR. I've section hiked before
              2000-
              > 2002. Happy Trails, Bob R

              Hi Bob! I too am planning to hike the JMT in August. No. to So.
              I have a reservation for a permit on Aug. 14th. I have one buddy
              going to the VVR and then I would be solo. You may be a bit faster
              than I, I am planning an exit on Sept 1st or thereabouts. But plan
              to avg. about 10-12 miles/day. (We'll see how I do!) It seems you
              may catch up to us around the VVR perhaps. Ive got my family to
              take us in...may or may not have space for one more...where are you
              located? I am in Santa Cruz....
            • Bob
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 31, 2006
                Hey. I've been working on my wife to follow me to Lone Pine so I
                could drop off my car and have her schlep me to Yosemite.
                Negotiations continue with the same level of success as the Israelis
                and Palestinians, so I'm going to Plan B. That would be to drive
                from where I live in SLO to Yosemite, then try to find a ride back
                to my car from WP after completing the hike. After staring at the
                CREST schedule for some time, I'm still not sure if I could take it
                from Lone Pine to Mammoth so I could pick up the YARTS back to
                Yosemite Valley. Maybe I'll see you on the trail. I'm planning on
                finishing around Labor Day. Good luck with your hike!