SPOT Connect lets your smartphone call for help without cell signal

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2011
      Well this might be interesting. Worth looking into.

      Sent to you by Roleigh Martin via Google Reader:

      via GPS Tracklog on 1/4/11

      I should have seen this one coming. The folks that brought you the SPOT Satellite Messenger and SPOT Communicator have announced the SPOT Connect – a satellite communicator that pairs with your smartphone via Bluetooth, allowing you to send text messages, email or even post to Facebook and Twitter from the middle of nowhere. Pretty [...]

      Things you can do from here:

    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2011
        On 1/5/2011 8:00 PM, Roleigh Martin wrote:
        Well this might be interesting. Worth looking into.

        Sent to you by Roleigh Martin via Google Reader:

        interesting - more info here, answering the questions I had when i saw this (e.g. does it work as a SOS device even if my phone is dead?)

        http://ces.cnet.com/8301-32254_1-20027126-283.html

        I like it - 41 character messages may be enough for my needs to get resupply runs coordinated, etc. May save me fro buying a sat phone.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2011
          Peter, thanks for the link.  I note this paragraph:

          "The Spot Connect interfaces with a Bluetooth-paired smartphone via the Spot Connect application--versions of the app will be immediately available for Android handsets, iPhone compatibility is pending Apple's approval, and BlackBerry and Windows Phone 7 compatibility will follow later in the year. "

          I hope Apple approves the Iphone app.  The Iphone 4 with it's 5 megapixel camera and flash, is not that bad of a trail camera.  On our JMT 2010, one of us (me) had the Iphone 4 brought along for the group cell phone (for use when in range), and also used it as my camera.  My photos were not that bad at all.

          I found out one has good reception going up (south) from quail meadows.  We had good reception there.  Did not have good reception coming down from Whitney until about 1 mile from Whitney Portal.  We had no reception from Whitney Summit.  (Uses ATT).

          We had good reception at TM and RM though.  No reception 1/8th of a mile downhill from Kearsarge Pass on the Western Side.  (We did not do the pass, but came into the Easternmost Kearsarge Lake from the North, meaning we had to come very close to the Kearsarge Pass on the Western Side).