Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT 2007 (or 2006)

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 7 8:34 PM
      Oh man too busy!! :) well get to it!!

      You know I have not heard anything about snow in the mtns til tonite and I heard that the NW was really getting it...so don't know. My hiking bud from last year told me that she is seriously looking at the JMT for this summer..dang I can't go.

      I did not get the big powerful lots of work job as Director of Membership. However I am now being considered for the same job I do now only in Roanoke with a little twist of managing annnnnd its in Roanoke...20 miles from the AT...yikes...and the salary...well it could be just as good as the big director position because of my experience...sigh...karma may be working for me still...:) thanks for the good wishes...

      Happy hiking..will be here before we know it,
      vera

      Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:
      Hi Vera,

      No, I have been too busy to work on it. My organization is launching
      a new elementary school next fall and I have been working non-stop on
      that project. But the JMT report is still in my to-do box (the notes
      and maps have been on my desk, next to my computer, since I came back
      from the mountains) and I will get to it some time soon.

      I am thinking about doing the first leg of the Roper's Sierra High
      Route, from Kings Canyon to South Lake, this year. My only problem
      is that I have to go out in late June this year, so the snow may
      spoil this idea. We'll see. . . Anybody out there have any idea of
      how this year compares to last year, with regards to snow and
      precipitation? It's hard to tell here in San Diego, where we get
      maybe four or five days of hard rain each winter. I sure would love
      to hear that it is a dryer year in the mountains this year.

      Good luck with the interview.

      Prapanna

      Message 48 of 48 , Sep 6, 2015
        Here's some snow in July

        It's not usually like this - but it is sometimes like this.

        On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 8:08 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
        Just look up California time and call me Monday after 8 am

        You could leave some stuff with me or probably with Bob Shattuck. We both try to help help hikers  passing thru SF

        Google map search for a motel near 9th and Mission.- convenient to public transit. Fairly "urban" environment but safe

        I'd buy stuff at REI, Not the cheapest prices but yu can return stuff that turns out badly

        Weather is usually pleasant, even in September with pleasant, sunny days and cold clear nights. But they are mountains and you have to be prepared for bad weather.

        Here's one day in June

        Stream crossings will probably be easy. But if there is rain or a fast melt after a snow, they can get harder fast. I'd cross either in your regular footwear (remove socks and insoles and wick out afterwards) or bring special footwear for crossings. You don't want to cross barefoot on a stream that has granite rocks where you can't always see where your foot is going next.

        We usually have wonderful weather. It's the fairly frequent "unusual" weather you need to worry about. Can happen any month but more likely in September/october.

        On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 4:59 PM, Felix JMT felix.jmt2015@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        John,

        thank you very much or your quick reply. Indeed, I would be gratefull for a few tips concerning SF.
        - Do you know a good place to stay?
        - Do you have a recommendation for a store where to purchase gear (in particular a down jacket and rain paints)
        - Do you know a place in SF where I could leave a small back pack with 'normal' gear such as a t-shirt or a razor for the time on the trail? No need to have supplement weight :-)
        - As I haven't been to Califonia yet it is a bit difficult for me to ass weather conditions. Can one still expect lots of sun shine interrupted by rain and snow or is it rather cloudy and misty with rain and snow? In case it is snowing or raining, how long does it usually last? Rather one hour or one day?
        - Do I have to expect to cross large and deep streams, ie. does one need sandals?

        I might call you during the next days. What time would suit you?

        Thank you very much for your support.

        Felix