Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT 2007 (or 2006)

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 7, 2006
      Oh man too busy!! :) well get to it!!

      You know I have not heard anything about snow in the mtns til tonite and I heard that the NW was really getting it...so don't know. My hiking bud from last year told me that she is seriously looking at the JMT for this summer..dang I can't go.

      I did not get the big powerful lots of work job as Director of Membership. However I am now being considered for the same job I do now only in Roanoke with a little twist of managing annnnnd its in Roanoke...20 miles from the AT...yikes...and the salary...well it could be just as good as the big director position because of my experience...sigh...karma may be working for me still...:) thanks for the good wishes...

      Happy hiking..will be here before we know it,
      vera

      Prapanna Smith <prapanna@...> wrote:
      Hi Vera,

      No, I have been too busy to work on it. My organization is launching
      a new elementary school next fall and I have been working non-stop on
      that project. But the JMT report is still in my to-do box (the notes
      and maps have been on my desk, next to my computer, since I came back
      from the mountains) and I will get to it some time soon.

      I am thinking about doing the first leg of the Roper's Sierra High
      Route, from Kings Canyon to South Lake, this year. My only problem
      is that I have to go out in late June this year, so the snow may
      spoil this idea. We'll see. . . Anybody out there have any idea of
      how this year compares to last year, with regards to snow and
      precipitation? It's hard to tell here in San Diego, where we get
      maybe four or five days of hard rain each winter. I sure would love
      to hear that it is a dryer year in the mountains this year.

      Good luck with the interview.

      Prapanna

      On Feb 6, 2006, at 8:16 PM, Vera Lehmkuhl wrote:

      > Prapanna
      > did you ever post your trip report after you finished the JMT
      > last year? Am I senile? Did I miss it? Man that is scary about the
      > storm but am impressed that you hunkered down in such a small
      > shelter successfully....:)
      >
      > what are you doing this summer to top that eh? :)
      > vera
      >
      > (you all keep your fingers crossed I am interviewing for a job in
      > Roanoke, VA ....less than ohhhh 20 miles I think from the AT in VA! :)

      > High sierra sport High sierras John muir trail
      >
      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > Visit your group "johnmuirtrail" on the web.

      High sierra sport High sierras John muir trail

    • summerton south homeowners association
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 19, 2016
        Thank you for your comments.

        Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

        On Saturday, March 19, 2016, 6:33 PM, 'D.N.' douglasnoyes@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        We began last year on 21June from HI with absolutely no problem, no snow the entire way!!!  Water crossings no problems either.  Now...less snow last year, so take the difference from the two, compare with what the experts here are saying based on their previous experiences and enjoy the journey. Assume some of the water crossings will be higher, but since the weather lately has been pretty chill with these high pressure systems...who knows. :-)

        On Mar 19, 2016 2:12 PM, "summerton south homeowners association summertonsouth@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Have a reversation to begin JMT on June 29th. Concerned about this year's snow pack with having trail and passes for the most part being free of snow. Starting at TM to Whitney. Does anyone have the same entry date? Or will the snow pack force hikers to get later entry date.

        Appreciate any input.

        Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone