Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT hikers who hike with dogs in the national forest area of the JMT

  • David Benson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
      This year I did the start and end of the "Canine JMT" with my dog Pijiu. He's an 80lb mutt with a big chunk of Golden Retriever in him. Very friendly and fun. We explored Piute Pass to the JMT bridge and did a nice loop to Donohue Pass in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. This year we plan on doing the whole C-JMT sobo. I love having him hike with me, and he loves it, too!

      He carries a RuffWear backpack which he seems to like (at least he doesn't complain about it). He carries his own food and snacks. My wife also insists that he carries the Spot tracker. I carry a yoga mat for him to sleep on in our 2 person REI tent.

      Everyone we meet on trail is happy to see him.
      all the best,
      Pijiu & The Man

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
        This couple of donkeys (only one owner shown) -- around august 2, 2009, near wanda lake.

        20090801-90-Wanda Lake Camp Site 01.JPG

        On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

        I met a couple once that had a donkey that was pretty much a pet. It carried all their food & equipment and followed them, or they followed it.

      • Linda Reitz
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2011
          I also love meeting up with dogs on the trail, seems like they are almost Golden Retreivers. Only once died I see dogs on leash, still all were well behaved and happy. I would love to have a buddy like that.
          Linda