Re: [John Muir Trail] Snow in the past

  • Kim Fishburn
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 2 8:53 PM
      I know there has been a lot of snow so far, but the forecast is for things to be much drier for the remainder of the year.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 3 10:29 AM
        Best method I have found to check snowpack is the CDEC site... find a location that gives daily info via satellite. Info I got from FS and NP rangers was flat out wrong. Over the past two summers I've been backpacking in the Eastern Sierras in early June where rangers claim there was too much snow and have kept roads closed into clear trailheads. http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/nearbymap?staid=RSH

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 13 10:44 AM
          I think it was John that mentioned carrying a whistle the other day. You can buy a replacement buckle for the sternum strap with the built in whistle here for 75 cents. They also have kits for making tarps, backpacks etc.

          http://www.questoutfitters.com/plastic.htm
        • Peter Burke
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 13 10:55 AM
            On 1/13/2011 12:44 PM, Kim Fishburn wrote:
            I think it was John that mentioned carrying a whistle the other day. You can buy a replacement buckle for the sternum strap with the built in whistle here for 75 cents. They also have kits for making tarps, backpacks etc.

            http://www.questoutfitters.com/plastic.htm

            funny thing - I bought some of these at REI to come back home only to realize all my packs already had them, just not in orange (Osprey and Gregory packs). I never had noticed the odd shape of those buckles :-)

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 13 11:15 AM
              I think neck is possibly safer than pack, since you and your neck are never parted- and if they are, it's likely too late for a whistle!  Same for a Pgoton type flashlite too.

               Barbara

            • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 13 11:39 AM
                Personally I have my whistle clip on to my person I bought a camel back clip (the one's that clip on the water holes) on at REI.

                From: Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...>
                Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:15:40 -0800
                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com<johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] whistle

                I think neck is possibly safer than pack, since you and your neck are never parted- and if they are, it's likely too late for a whistle!  Same for a Pgoton type flashlite too.

                 Barbara

                On Jan 13, 2011, at 10:55 AM, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

                On 1/13/2011 12:44 PM, Kim Fishburn wrote:

                I think it was John that mentioned carrying a whistle the other day. You can buy a replacement buckle for the sternum strap with the built in whistle here for 75 cents. They also have kits for making tarps, backpacks etc.

                http://www.questoutfitters.com/plastic.htm

                funny thing - I bought some of these at REI to come back home only to realize all my packs already had them, just not in orange (Osprey and Gregory packs). I never had noticed the odd shape of those buckles :-)

              • Karpani
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 13 1:49 PM
                  I'm with you here, Barbara . . . I hang mine on a thin piece of elastic, fairly close to the notch in my neck so if the whistle should get caught on anything, I don't strangle myself!:-)  It's very comfortable . . . hardly know it's there.
                  Karpani

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 13 1:54 PM
                    I was looking for some videos about Mountain Hardwear tents, and this
                    is what I found...

                    Many who have or will do the JMT have also been to White Mountain Peak,
                    to see the Bristlecone pines, to summit an easy 14,000er, acclimate,
                    have a grand view at the Sierras. This video covers a lot of the history
                    of the research station on that mountain, which is why we have a road up
                    to 11,000 feet and can get to the summit quickly

                    this video is about 59 minutes long, not 2:50 mins as the google page
                    indicates

                    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2047786485328838547#docid=-6637271921111677914

                    "The University of California's White Mountain Research Station provides
                    science unprecedented access to unique environments, environments where
                    life exists at the edge of extremes. This award- winning documentary
                    weaves a story of how this unique access is yielding an understanding of
                    change, from physiology to climate, from the oldest known living
                    organism, to a short-lived beetle, and what this understanding means for
                    all."

                    there's a fuzzy flash version as well -
                    http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=6420
                  • Don Amundson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 13 4:03 PM
                      You're not alone Peter.  A few years ago I was intrigued by my hiking partners sternum strap whistle only to realize I had one also.  As I've lowered my pack weight I no longer use a sternum strap so I've had to take another approach, whistle wise.

                      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 11, 2011
                        Wow!  Thanks, Peter!  This movie is really incredible.  I've been up there among the Bristlecones a couple of times, photographing and just basically enjoying their amazing existence.  This movie was a wonderful expansion of those experiences.  Thanks again for sharing . . . it makes a wonderful side-trip from the JMT, and a full on destination all its own:-)
                        Karpani