Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT hikers who hike with dogs in the national forest area of the JMT

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
      Bob, I'm only talking about the national forest area of the JMT where dogs are allowed.  Definitely they are not allowed in national parks in the back-country.  I like to play by the rules.  This makes for a very small part of the trail, basically from south of Donahue Pass to Piute Creek on the north side of the Kings Canyon National Park.

      On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 3:54 PM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

      Dogs are cute and it's neat to run into them on the trail, but speaking specifically of the JMT, don't bother ever trying to bring one. It seems that every time I have been on the trail I have run across someone with a dog . . . and then a mile later, or a day, I find a ranger looking for them. The rules change every time you enter a new park and it seems that nothing annoys a ranger more than illegal fire pits and people bringing dogs into the back-country.

      I've also seen a few dogs (and Llamas!) with their feet all cut up from the rough granite.

      bob

    • Kim Fishburn
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
        I met a couple once that had a donkey that was pretty much a pet. It carried all their food & equipment and followed them, or they followed it.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
          This year I did the start and end of the "Canine JMT" with my dog Pijiu. He's an 80lb mutt with a big chunk of Golden Retriever in him. Very friendly and fun. We explored Piute Pass to the JMT bridge and did a nice loop to Donohue Pass in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. This year we plan on doing the whole C-JMT sobo. I love having him hike with me, and he loves it, too!

          He carries a RuffWear backpack which he seems to like (at least he doesn't complain about it). He carries his own food and snacks. My wife also insists that he carries the Spot tracker. I carry a yoga mat for him to sleep on in our 2 person REI tent.

          Everyone we meet on trail is happy to see him.
          all the best,
          Pijiu & The Man

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
            This couple of donkeys (only one owner shown) -- around august 2, 2009, near wanda lake.

            20090801-90-Wanda Lake Camp Site 01.JPG

            On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Kim Fishburn <outhiking_55@...> wrote:

            I met a couple once that had a donkey that was pretty much a pet. It carried all their food & equipment and followed them, or they followed it.

          • Linda Reitz
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2011
              I also love meeting up with dogs on the trail, seems like they are almost Golden Retreivers. Only once died I see dogs on leash, still all were well behaved and happy. I would love to have a buddy like that.
              Linda