Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT 2007 (or 2006)

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 6, 2006
      Dave etal,
      I saw the 6 moons first at a Gathering or 2 ago and then again in Jan at the Southern Ruck at NOC...impressive little tent. I liked it...it very much looks like Wanderlust gears tents I think tho...I also saw a nifty little tarp thingy that I was supposed to get one of to test for the General but I have yet to see it...sigh...

      I think some friends are taking the 2 man 6 moons on the CDT this summer...

      ahhh you lucky man, you have a Down Hugger #5 eh...again if I wasn't allergic to down I'd have one now...so I am going to try to get one of the new fiberfill ones...I love those Montbell guys. I tested their wind shirt for a couple of weeks last year..and again I was pretty impressed...

      ok time for bed I have a really early meeting tomorrow...
      vera

      Dave <idahomtman@...> wrote:
      Interesting thread. I hiked the JMT north to south last July in 9.5
      days. With my schedule it was imperative that my pack was as light
      as I could get it so I used the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo tent
      which is not free standing and using trekking poles for support.
      There isn't a lot of headroom, but at 1.5 pounds it is pretty
      efficient. I had one very rainy night at the South Fork of Woods
      Creek and one night with a little rain at Guitar Lake and the tent
      performed fine. I brought a Feathered Friends Swallow sleeping bag
      because I thought I might be cold due to the snow pack and was too
      warm every night. Next time I will bring my Montbell U.L. Alpine
      Down Hugger #5.

      Dave

    • summerton south homeowners association
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 19, 2016
        Thank you for your comments.

        Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

        On Saturday, March 19, 2016, 6:33 PM, 'D.N.' douglasnoyes@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        We began last year on 21June from HI with absolutely no problem, no snow the entire way!!!  Water crossings no problems either.  Now...less snow last year, so take the difference from the two, compare with what the experts here are saying based on their previous experiences and enjoy the journey. Assume some of the water crossings will be higher, but since the weather lately has been pretty chill with these high pressure systems...who knows. :-)

        On Mar 19, 2016 2:12 PM, "summerton south homeowners association summertonsouth@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Have a reversation to begin JMT on June 29th. Concerned about this year's snow pack with having trail and passes for the most part being free of snow. Starting at TM to Whitney. Does anyone have the same entry date? Or will the snow pack force hikers to get later entry date.

        Appreciate any input.

        Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone