Administrative stuff - New moderator(s)

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
      I think we formed a consensus, when I became a Moderator, that the role should rotate about every year, if only to avoid the Group becoming over-identified with one person.

      Having now had some experience with the issues of managing the Group, I think we should actually have several roles.

      Lead moderator - I think this should rotate annually (in January?) to whoever is willing to serve and who is accepted by the group by consensus (or by polling, if we ever really need it).  The Lead Moderator should have all powers except deleting the group, removing or banning a member, making the group a moderated forum or changing his/her own privileges.

      Co-moderator - I think that former Lead Moderators should chose the co-moderator with a rotation about once every 5 years.  This person can stay pretty inactive, but can have the few powers that probably shouldn't rotate annually (e.g., banning members, deleting the Group).  This person can also help coordinate the process of an annual recruitment of a new lead moderator.

      Assistant moderator - one or more people who volunteer to help the lead moderator.  Can approve new membership requests when lead moderator is on a hike, or could offer to update or organize the Links or Photos area, etc.

      It seems to me that Roleigh Martin is a logical lead Moderator for 2011, given the amount of effort he has devoted to the group over the last few years, and I'm willing to continue as his Co-moderator.  I'll go ahead and do that soon, unless there is an upswelling of contrary thought.

      If you have concerns and would rather not post them to the board, feel free to e-mail me off-board at JohnLadd@.... Or express any concerns to Roleigh at roleigh@...

      It would be GREAT if we could have some volunteers for Assistant Moderator or expressions of interest in becoming lead moderator in future years, after the end of Roleigh's term.

      I don't want to be high-handed about suggesting Roleigh for the job.  If we have other volunteers for the Lead Moderator position for 2011, feel free to suggest yourself or another -- either by a Group reply to this posting, or to me off-board.  We could arrange a poll, if needed.

      Note that the Owner and Founder (1999) of this group, Dan Braun, will continue to be the Owner.  He's been inactive, however, for the past few years and has pretty much allowed me to be the most active party in management of the group. We all owe Dan a great deal of thanks for founding the group and graciously handing off the lead management roles.

    • Karpani
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
        Thank you, John, for all you have done to keep this engine running so smoothly!  I agree that Roleigh seems the most logical choice as Lead Moderator for 2011.  And in that place, I would be happy to volunteer to assist Roleigh in whatever way I am able.

        Wishing all an adventurous, safe and loving New Year!
        Karpani

[...]

      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2011
          Thank you so much for ALL you have done John, and will hopefully keep doing in the background. I truly appreciate your experience and wisdom and hope we can share some miles together one day.

          I' m also very willing to help Roleigh however I can.

          Happy New Year!

          Hugs,

           Barbara

[...]

        • Linda Reitz
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
            A BIG thanks to all who keep this form running so smoothly. Don't know how I could keep sane through the year without it.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
              To go along what every one else said thank you for all your hard work.  Let me know what every I can do to help this group out. To me the JMT is a true treasurer and would like to do my part in helping every one with their experience on the JMT wither it a few day's on the trail or a thou hike.

[...]

            • Amanda L Silvestri
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
                John

                you have done do much and been of such wonderful service to us all. THANK YOU! Enjoy the new year. I hope to see you out there sometime.

                Amanda