Re: [John Muir Trail] nPower - Kenetic Energy

  • gordonjacobsen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
      Peter,

      Good points on the lithium batteries... the only advantage of this device is that it can charge several gizmos that don't use standard-sized batteries (e.g. AA). That would allow you to pack things like ipods, some GPS devices, some cameras, cell phones, etc.

      That being said, I cant think of too many things worth bringing on the JMT that dont support standard battery sizes. I currently only have 3 items in my bag requiring batteries - camera, spot and headlamp. All 3 can use standard-sized batteries.

      Gordy

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

      > On 1/1/2011 10:06 AM, gordonjacobsen wrote:
      > > While I strongly support Ned's recent post about not relying on electronic gagdets and using the stuff between the ears, I also like playing around different gadgets and new gear.
      > >
      > > Anyone seen, used, or hear about this product - http://www.npowerpeg.com/ It supposedly can power small gadgets by using the kenetic energy generated while hiking. I knew the technology was coming, but it is the first time I have seen something tangible... and its listed weight is less than 12 ounces. Seems interesting in theory, but I can't find any reviews on it.
      >

      > 12 ounces equals the weight of 24 AA Energizer Lithium cells. I rarely
      > need more than 8 of these between resupply depots (camera and GPS always
      > on). Until solar chargers work reliably and weigh less than 6 ounces,
      > I'll stick with lithium batteries and buy devices that use AA or AAA.
      > Foolproof power - works without sunlight, not sensitive to cold, half
      > the weight of alkaline, and 4x the output of an alkaline. 14.6 grams or
      > 0.5 ounces per AA cell - that's my measure all charging gizmos have to
      > match.

    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
        On 1/1/2011 11:57 AM, gordonjacobsen wrote:
        > Peter,
        >
        > Good points on the lithium batteries... the only advantage of this device is that it can charge several gizmos that don't use standard-sized batteries (e.g. AA). That would allow you to pack things like ipods, some GPS devices, some cameras, cell phones, etc.

        yup, but I did bring an ipod 60GB 3rd gen unit one time - and I have a
        AA lithium adapter for it (Energizer makes it)

        it's basically a plastic battery holder that charges the ipod from the
        AAs in it

        http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Energi-Charger-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B0016LWQGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293905723&sr=8-1