Re: [John Muir Trail] Sat phones and wilderness use

  • ned@mountaineducation.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2010
      Please, everyone, remember that we do not control the environment or situations that befall us when we're "out there," so communications becomes crucial for those circumstances that go beyond our skill level or experience. Globalstar worked fine for us years ago, but our recent product testing of Iridium proved to us that their system is the one to go with right now.

      Do not rely on gear to assure you of safety, especially electronics which can suddenly be found to be "dead," just when you need it due to cold or whatever. Do the best you can to plan and prepare for the "realities of the trail," then practice and rely on your experience and skill ability. The most important asset you have is between your ears and the wisdom that comes with experience!

      "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

      Ned Tibbits, Director
      Mountain Education
      1106A Ski Run Blvd