Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT 2007 (or 2006)

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 6, 2006
      On the subject of tents: For years I did not carry a tent in the
      High Sierra because I
      never experienced night-time storms. Last year, I decided to carry
      emergency shelter
      only for my July-August N-S JMT hike. And it turned out I did indeed
      need it for two
      nights. The first night was very light rain while camping at Colby
      Meadow in Evolution
      Valley. The second night-time storm that hit was a very strong one.
      In fact, I was
      camped just above Guitar Lake just hours after some Boy Scouts hiding
      out from the
      storm at Sandy Meadow got hit by lightening (a teenaged scout and a
      scout master
      were killed). The date was July 28, if I remember correctly.

      My shelter? A Sil Pancho by Integral Designs (not their Sil Tarp).
      Using titanium pegs,
      a little nylon twine, and my treking poles I was able to firmly pitch
      it in just a few minutes,
      and it provided more than ample cover from the strong rain and hail
      that came down
      during that last relentless storm. And covering an area 5X8 feet, it
      only weighs in at
      10 ounces!!

      Prapanna

      Message 45 of 45 , Sep 19, 2014
        It is a limit of 15 in Yosemite.
        http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildregs.htm

        On Friday, September 19, 2014, steve herr groundhogsteve@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        But isn't there a prohibition on groups joining up to exceed the group maximum limit - ie, they can't camp within X distance of each other, etc?

        --
        Sent from Gmail Ipad
        See my Google Profile for interesting research links: