El Capitan - first ascent. GPS track for the Jaunty Juggernaut JMT

  • Wilderness
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2010
      Rob of the WV again. I recently posted the JMT-Jaunty Juggernaut report, and I am working on adding a section about the first ascent of El Capitan. Kathleen and I are visiting friends in Fresno while a giant storm sweeps through Northern Arizona, and we see George Whitmore today. George is a local to you (Fresno) Yosemite activist, so you may have heard of him. Probably, you did not realize that he's a climbing legend. George will lend me his old Argosy Magazine that posted the story about this climb. Those interested may tune in to the WV in the future to see this report. It will be added to my report about the JMT - hiking the Jaunty Juggernaut.
      I am not a climber, yet I believe a few climbing skills come in handy in those big canyons and on those terrific peaks.
      Here' the report so far:

      http://wildernessvagabond.com/john-muir-trail-2010/john-muir-trail-2010.htm

      Also, see the GPS track (which you can copy) on the Trimble site here:

      http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/979329

      Rob of the WV

      http://www.wildernessvagabond.com/