Ahwahnee

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 28, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 130 KB
    The "great room" in the Ahwahnee. I think they allow backpacks in there!
    Barbara
  • Peter Burke
    Message 2 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
      http://mammothweather.com/2010/12/29/its-offical-wettest-december-on-mammoth-mt-on-record/

      So what do you use as a crossing shoe when Bear Creek is 5 feet deep?
    • ed_rodriguez52@yahoo.com
      Message 3 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
        I saw on youtube these PCTer crossing a creek floating on termo-rest

        From: Peter Burke <pburke@...>
        Sender: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:32:51 -0600
        To: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Wettest December on Record for Mammoth

        http://mammothweather.com/2010/12/29/its-offical-wettest-december-on-mammoth-mt-on-record/

        So what do you use as a crossing shoe when Bear Creek is 5 feet deep?

      • Don Amundson
        Message 4 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
          Anybody know where to buy paddle blade attachments for hiking poles?

          http://flyweightdesigns.com/Products.aspx

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: pburke@...
          Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:32:51 -0600

          Message 5 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
            Amazing!

            "As of 6:15AM Mammoth Mountain has picked up another 27 inches over night at the Main Lodge. That means that December is 205 inches for the month so far with the old record at 140 inches set back in 1972. The season total with Oct and Nov stands at a whopping 299 inches. Again we are expecting another 3 to 7 inches today!"

            Message 6 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
              Ed, that would be a cool link if you could find it!

              Message 7 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
                Yep -- it is called a PODDLE

                But it is a MYOG item.

                Message 8 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
                  OK folks here it is, a complete kit for those of you who really want to be prepared for every contingency. Boat, paddle, stowage bag and repair kit weighing in at only 6lbs. 4oz. Rope and line shooter for added versatility extra.  Brought to you by Roleigh and Don. Price on request (no sales to BK).

                  Message 9 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
                    If you want the ultralightest rope, go for 1000 lb deep sea fishing line:

                    "High Tensile Strength - Spectra fiber is so strong that it is used in bulletproof vests; replacing Kevlar in that application. It is about 10 times as strong as steel, pound for pound. The finished line has a tensile strength of about 600,000 pounds per square inch versus monofilament that has a tensile strength of about 100,000 pounds per square inch. Long Life - Spectra has a very long life, it does not rot, and is not readily damaged by ultraviolet rays in sunlight, as is monofilament. Not Effected by Water - Spectra does not swell in water, nor does it lose strength when wet. Light Weight - Line One does not weigh you down. Stand-up fishermen really appreciate the lightweight of a spool of Line One. Put another way, filling a Penn 30 with 700 yards of 80# Line One Spectra adds only 4.5 ounces to that 56 ounce reel. "

                    So 100 yards would be 1/7th of 4.5 oz.  Pretty light!  -- only 3 percent stretch too.

                    Message 10 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
                      While it has been a very wet December, and probably is the wettest on record we unfortunately cannot use Mammoth Mountain's current data against historic data.

                      As I understand it, Mammoth Mountain moved their recording station sometime in the '90's, it regularly records higher accumulations than the old location. Good for marketing, bad for evaluation/comparison.

                      Best to wait for actual data brought in from the field from courses that haven't changed since the late 30's or early 40's.

                      In any case, it IS big snow up here.

                      JD
                      www.johndittli.com

                      Message 11 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
                        An inflatable canoe?  Except you'd get washed downstream....

                         Barbara

                        Message 12 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
                          I want one but can't you do an ultralight version Don?

                           Barbara

                          Message 13 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
                            Sure Barbara--That 6lb 4oz is the packed weight.  The trail weight is lighter but as I said in the previous post, no sales to BK.  Your goal this year is to carry less and I refuse to be a party to any pack additions you might be contemplating due to the power of suggestion by others. Rolling on the floor laughing

                            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 14 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
                              Barbara,

                              Were you at the Ahwahnee for Christmas?
                              I know for sure they allowed hikers in 2009, both in the great room and dining room.  I had dinner there with Lucky Dog and Mr Clean the night before hitting starting the JMT.  Of course we were all clean, fresh smelling and wearing our finest hiking apparel so we managed to be seated with only a few withering glances from our fellow diners. I would highly recommend the experience to all as a fitting send off if you have time before your hike. Reservations are a must.

                              From: barbara@...
                              Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:46:12 -0800
                              Subject: [John Muir Trail] Ahwahnee [1 Attachment]

                              [Attachment(s) from Barbara Karagosian included below] The "great room" in the Ahwahnee. I think they allow backpacks in there!
                              Barbara

                              Attachment(s) from Barbara Karagosian

                              1 of 1 File(s)

                            • Barbara Karagosian
                              Message 15 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
                                Haha Don. I guess it'll be doggie paddling then....

                                 Barbara

                                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 16 of 16 , Dec 29, 2010
                                  Yep, we stayed in one of the "cottages" that are out the back.  Gorgeous views, dogwoods, no crowds. I love hanging out in the bar there.

                                   Barbara