Re: Sat phone deal

  • judy
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 24, 2010
      I had one of the older Globalstar phones for many years and carried it in my car and on hikes. It went months unused and un-recharged but always had plenty of power when needed. However, when they began having problems with their satellites, it became impossible to get reception. I was wearing down the batteries waiting for reception. On the rare occasion I could connect, the calls would usually drop. They even published a schedule of when the satellites would be overhead (that didn't help), but I finally decided it would be useless in an emergency.

      I got the original SPOT shortly after it came out (which uses Globalstar satellites, but only one-way I understand, and instantaneous data is apparently much easier to manage than a continuous voice connection). It has gone on 3 JMT hikes and numerous other hikes with excellent results. It has its own limitations of course (tree cover, north-facing slopes, canyons, etc), and not all signals get through (about 80% do on the JMT). I also have the tracking feature which provides family entertainment while I hike! Also, if I fall off a cliff somewhere, they will know where to start looking! The emergency button sends out signals every 5-10 minutes increasing the likelihood of one getting through.

      I did enjoy being able to talk the folks back home, but will stick with my old SPOT for now until they straighten out their satellite issues.