Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT 2007 (or 2006)

  • paul ahonen
    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 5, 2006
      Hi Steve
      Thank you for the invite, but I have other obligations this year (I'm getting married) so that puts a big damper on things LOL I appreciate the info and I am trying to put together an itinerary for my trip (your welcome to come on that one) but have never done it b-4. I also planned on 15miles per day so maybe I'm doing something right.
      That should make it a little over 2 weeks I guess. I also am trying to go light getting new gear and all. How warm of a sleeping bag would I need, I was also thinking of getting the MSR Micro zoid is that nesescary? How many pounds did you take and how many pound are you going for this time. Like what things did you take that you didn't need. I have so many questions and I did get someone who would like to go in 2007 Lois from northern cali. and so I feel I need to get something put together.

      Thank you Steve
      and God bless

      stevenhmunson <sirsteve@...> wrote:
      Hi Paul,

      If you want to change your plans, I'm planning on doing the JMT this
      summer. I hiked it from North to South in 2000, and I'm planning on
      going from South to North this summer. I plan to start on Aug. 19 and
      complete the hike on Labor Day, Sept. 4. I plan to hike 15 miles per
      day, with one rest day near Muir Trail Ranch in the middle. At 15
      miles per day I have a little leeway to complete it by Labor Day. On
      Wednesday I applied for the Mt. Whitney lottery, but I'm not sure what
      my chances are since my start date is a Saturday. Most likely I'll
      start at Horseshoe Meadow and go over Cottonwood Pass and skip Mt.
      Whitney. (Hardcore JMT'ers will frown on me, but that's OK.) Since
      2000, I've also done several loops that included parts of the JMT, and
      the area is just spectacular. My hike in 2000 was one of the great
      experiences of my life - that's why I'm anxious to do it again. I
      carried way too much weight in 2000, so I'm working hard on getting my
      pack weight down for this summer (mostly researching/trying
      lightweight backpacking techniques and buying new gear).

      If anyone else is interested in coming along this summer, please plan
      to "attend". I'm also going to apply for a permit for the Horseshoe
      Meadow trailhead for an Aug. 19 start date (I'm applying on Feb. 19 -
      6 months in advance), so I need to know soon if anyone else is
      interested.

      Good luck, Paul, in your preparations. As others have said, the
      anticipation and getting ready for the trip is half of the fun.

      Steve

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scout_hiker" <scout_hiker@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello fellow hikers/backpackers. I am looking for anyone doesn't
      > matter how many (the more the merrier) who would like to hike the
      > entire length of the JMT around the middle of July-2007. I know I'm
      > asking early but I am anxious. I have never done a hike that long
      and
      > would like to hike it with someone who's familair with it. I'm from
      > North Dakotah and am going to hike the length of the Maah Daah Hey
      > trail on Theodore Roosevelt National Park this summer it's about 96
      > miles that would be my longest. Well hope all is well with everyone
      > and I like this site. (Sly told me about it)
      >
      > Paul

      High sierra sport High sierras John muir trail

    • d s
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 21, 2013

        Anyone planning to hike this late in the year on the JMT

        Red Don